Potential sanctuary

Hoolee99

I searched this magical place looking to find the elusive elk. This place was much to what I believe is the sanctuary area, far from roads,miserable to get into, and looks to have feed and definitely has water. Found 2 grouse and some squirrels. Do I go back during season is the question? Sorry for the sideways pic !

FCA27A7A-5595-49D0-8335-3B15EB7376C7.jpg

Attachments

• F58C6488-2C52-436C-BFF3-AD948E12D307.jpg
    F58C6488-2C52-436C-BFF3-AD948E12D307.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:
Some old sign, lower than I was more toward the bottom and one set of wolf tracks from mid mountain to and over the top

Some old sign, lower than I was more toward the bottom and one set of wolf tracks from mid mountain to and over the top
Lots of rubs,wallows and crap is what I look for, a place that has bulls before the rut really kicks off will likely have bulls right after the rut. Basically, once you determine a place has food, water and security you then need to figure out if it has any elk.

This is a darn good reason to hunt an area in my opinion.

Yes, if you're young and know there's elk there. I have spots that are easy to get the meat out, have no hunters, and have elk. I prefer spots like that as I get older.

I am sure there are spots like that in idaho here but I just haven't had the fortune to find them. I am a little older but apparently not much wiser. The area I hunt is huge so plenty of different options

I am sure there are spots like that in idaho here but I just haven't had the fortune to find them. I am a little older but apparently not much wiser. The area I hunt is huge so plenty of different options
Packing a bull out of a place like that once will ensure you have arrangements the next time. Unless you have an easy access spot full of bulls, writing off a spot like you're looking at because it's too tough/rugged is the wrong approach IMHO. Those are exactly the kind of areas that the big bulls go to recuperate from the rut.

Yes, bulls do try to find solitude. However, it can be thick with blowdown. It doesn't have to be steep. Elk are as lazy as we are and won't climb if it doesn't have to. It will also want to sleep on level ground. Look for benches in the area and see if it looks like a bedding area.

It does look rugged and could be good if the elk are there. If it is a sanctuary there will be lots of elk sign once you get in there. When elk are pressured they will find the nastiest country they can find to hole up in. From just looking at the pics I don't see much in the way of feed for the elk.
Good luck to you.

Well the hunt starts in a couple days and I have ran out of time for scouting time to go all in. I hope to have service in and out up there and will post when I can. Hopefully pics of elk I am planning to pack out. I scouted another area but the same as before nothing great to report so it’s back to an area I have had success but the people are in droves so hope to get up a little earlier and farther than them and let them push elk around.

Robert,

I've noticed a few of your other posts. If you're hunting within a few hours of Boise, that does NOT look like an Elk sanctuary. If you didn't notice heavy Elk traffic evidence, I'd consider another option..

I'll be hunting my own personal sweet spot come Wednesday. I lost my hunting partner for this season, so if you'd entertain the idea of joining, I wouldn't be against it. I'm in Eagle, and hunt 39. Have taken my last 4 bulls within 1/8th mile of each other.

It does require being very capable physically to hunt and pack Elk here. The area I go is too difficult for Mules, just to give an idea. (No exaggeration. There's no way to get a pack up there).

Shoot me a note if you're interested, if not, good-luck! Look for DEEP, DARK, HIGH and NORTH facing.

- Joseph

E35B4A89-7093-46A5-AC5C-D77DEA7F8472.jpg took off and made a effort for deer last day and stayed for the opener of elk. Saw a bunch of does and a couple moose. Didn’t hunt terrible hard at all so my expectations were slim but saw great country and a few animals so not horrible but i am back at them Sunday

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back