Caribou Gear Tarp

Possible alternative to an Inreach?

SD_Prairie_Goat

Has anyone here used one of these Sat Paq's while out hunting?

I saw an article on them the other day and they look they could do a great job of turning your cell phone into an inreach for a smaller cost.

Link to their site:

Haven’t seen that before, but all ready have an inReach. If you are in the market give it a try.

I'm in the same boat, looking at buying an inReach but I'd sure love it if they were touchscreen like the garmin Montana does. Easier to use than the inreach IMO.

From the website:
How Do I Use My SatPaq?

Quite simple...
  1. Download our easy-to-use app called SpaceLinq®
  2. Compose and queue your message
  3. Point to one of our two GEO satellites and send

#3 is a dealbreaker for me, personally. I love the idea, but until this tech catches up a bit more, I wouldn't invest my own money into it.

Looks really interesting. Using GEO (Geosynchronous Earth Orbit, 35,000 km) satellites is interesting since they are much further away than the LEO (Low Earth Orbit, 100s of km) satellites that most sat phones use. I would think it would require a bigger/more powerful transmitter, but technology is making stuff smaller/lighter all the time, so maybe this is not a big deal.

The downside that I see is that for this to work requires that you have an operational (charged) cell phone and the transmitter, so double the amount of stuff that has to work in an emergency (2 batteries, 2 processors, etc). Also, GEO satellites have weaker coverage the closer you get to the poles (far northern/southern latitudes are going to have lower signal strength).

Cool device for sure, but I would have to see it in use or read some more detailed reviews before I chose this over a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) for possible emergencies.

Trying to save money and cut corners on something that could save your life is not a good idea.
Well, if you take that idea to its logical conclusion, then you would never drive anything except for a 60 ton tank, because otherwise you could be killed in a car accident. We are all compromising (convenience, money, time, etc for safety) every day. So, each of us has to decide what level of risk is acceptable.

Well, if you take that idea to its logical conclusion, then you would never drive anything except for a 60 ton tank, because otherwise you could be killed in a car accident. We are all compromising (convenience, money, time, etc for safety) every day. So, each of us has to decide what level of risk is acceptable.

Thanks for explaining that to me.

It's on the iridium network... so I would guess a toss up with the garmin mini...
I looked at this but decided to go inreach. The bivystick is big and heavy for what it is and the plans are comparable if I remember correctly.

I'm in the same boat, looking at buying an inReach but I'd sure love it if they were touchscreen like the garmin Montana does. Easier to use than the inreach IMO.
If you use the Earthmate App on your phone while it is Bluetoothed to your INreach you can use your phone to type the message this is pretty much how i send all messages. The only time I am using my Inreach is when I am laying in my tent, weathered in and doing whatever I can to pass time lol. Anything that is not on the iridium satellite program I personally would not go with yet. That's not to say that in a couple years things will change and the next thing we know we gotta do something different........ All I can say is I am very happy with my Inreach paired with my phone. The only other reason my phone is in my pack is for a camera.......

If you use the Earthmate App on your phone while it is Bluetoothed to your INreach you can use your phone to type the message this is pretty much how i send all messages. The only time I am using my Inreach is when I am laying in my tent, weathered in and doing whatever I can to pass time lol. Anything that is not on the iridium satellite program I personally would not go with yet. That's not to say that in a couple years things will change and the next thing we know we gotta do something different........ All I can say is I am very happy with my Inreach paired with my phone. The only other reason my phone is in my pack is for a camera.......
Plus who doesn’t want to be able to text fight with their spouse in the woods

It hasn't happend yet but i'm not ruling it out one day when I need to stay just a little longer honey........

My wife and I were just at bass pro and she was looking at these and asking the clerk all kinds of questions. Finally she turns to me and says what do you think. "Honey there is a reason I hunt where there is no cell service" 🤷‍♂️

My wife and I were just at bass pro and she was looking at these and asking the clerk all kinds of questions. Finally she turns to me and says what do you think. "Honey there is a reason I hunt where there is no cell service" 🤷‍♂️
Oh I hear ya there..... but the inreach deal is a nice piece of CHEAP insurance to have.

I definitely carry mine for other people, more than myself, but I figure that if checking in everyday and having short conversations makes my being gone less impactful I'm more likely to get to go on long trips more often.

Being able to tell your spouse where the XYZ is or the number of the plumber, or whatever just saves you a ton of headache and potential resentment.

The original post is a nice idea. As most of us hunters in this forum who use ONX or other mapping apps, we turn off our cell signal and continue off-line.

Since this is the case, why do we need an inReach when it seems that a pre-downloaded app could use this same satellite signal to permit texting?

I read the posts above, but I'm a technological Neanderthal in some ways and may have missed it.

I came across an article that explains how, by default (no app needed), this feature may exist in the iPhone 13's.

The original post is a nice idea. As most of us hunters in this forum who use ONX or other mapping apps, we turn off our cell signal and continue off-line.

Since this is the case, why do we need an inReach when it seems that a pre-downloaded app could use this same satellite signal to permit texting?

I read the posts above, but I'm a technological Neanderthal in some ways and may have missed it.

I came across an article that explains how, by default (no app needed), this feature may exist in the iPhone 13's.
Short version.

Satellite is passive = Phone is locating itself based on signals satellites send, it's not pushing data up.
Cell tower is active = Phone is pushing a signal to the tower.

The link is talking about a possible emergency ability, not unlimited texting like an inreach or other device.

Reactions: JAG
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back