Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Poll on a common question (scope magnification)

What's on your Elk Rifle?

• Total voters

Sabot

For the sake of the flatlanders who go west for Elk and Muleys: How much scope magnification is enough if your max ethical shot is 400 yards? What's on your rifle?

I used to have straight 6X on all my rifles. I killed a lot of animals out to 400 yards with that. Odds are, what you currently have for deer would work for elk.

I have a Zeiss 6.5 X 20 on my .300 Win Mag

And I haven't shot anything past 100 yards with it, hmmmm :rolleyes:

Last edited:
go west for Elk and Muleys: How much scope magnification is enough if your max ethical shot is 400 yards? ?

Enough ?
For elk, 4x is easily "enough" out to 400 and beyond. For deer, maybe 6X.

That being said, my elk rifle wears a 2.5 X 8. I cannot imagine an ethical shot out to 600+ yards where I would need more than 8X. My primary "deer" rifle wears a 3X9, deer being a bit smaller than elk, once again, out to 600+, no problems.
Doping the drop and wind is a much bigger obstacle than worrying about counting the ticks on his butt.
On the other hand, a lot more elk, and probably deer too, are taken in timber where average shots can be well under 100 yards, often under 50.
For shots on a moving (running) animal in thick timber, under 50 yards, 2X or 3X is prefect, anything over 5X will cause you to miss more often than not.
High power scopes are a lot of fun, but for hunting big game, a 3X9 is all you will ever really need, and if you hunt anything like I do, you will spend a lot more time with that scope set on 3x than you will set on 9X.

Can someone add to the selection in the poll - "dust" - for us archery only ell hunters?

I've got a 3x9 on my 300 win mag and has been great on elk. Just getting my new 338 rum set up and thinking I will go with a little higher power and see how it does on elk this year.

I got 2.5-10s on my rifles and above average eye sight. That low setting is nice in timber or runners and 10 will easily get it done in the open. I think quality (clarity/light gathering) is more important than power, my 2¢

CCC

3x9 is plenty for a 400 yard shot. Elk are big targets. Anything more for that range is just extra ounces you have to carry up the mountain.

Enough ?
For elk, 4x is easily "enough" out to 400 and beyond. For deer, maybe 6X.

How many elk have you shot out to 400 yards with a 4x?

An elk at 400 yards is friggn tiny in a 4x scope. Your heartbeats move it off target. YMMV

3x9 or better is my choice. I usually run around on 6-7 power on variables, and almost always crank it up to max. I really like the 12-14 power range for all hunting.

An elk at 400 yards is friggn tiny in a 4x scope. Your heartbeats move it off target. YMMV
Looks the same as using iron sights at 100yds. Folks seem to have made that combo work for a few hundred years...

That said, my 'elk' rifle has a 3-9 on it, but will probably be replaced with a 6X once I save up the scheckles.

I have a 3X9X40. The 9 is for range work, sighting in. When hunting, it stays on 5, unless I'm in thick brush, then it goes to 3.

4-16 on my rifle. i like to zoom in and pick my spot on an animal but have the flexibility to zoom out for the thick stuff.

I do with my muzzy, but only because I have to :(

Yeah. I hear ya' and don't get me wrong... I use a very nice scope on a great rifle as well.

I just kind of scratch my head these days in light of all these advanced products we use. The $200 you might spend on a lower tiered scope is plenty for top of the line iron sights, and they're accurate out to 300-400 yards depending on what you go with. Yes, I'm including rifle caliber in the selection process as well. But, I'm really beginning to return to some basics & fundamentals.

For instance, I'm fairly confident with my rifle at 500+ yards, but almost never find myself in that type of situation. Truthfully, I would be very doubtful if I'd take the shot even if I could make it; and I could. Since most of the shots I take are inside 300 yards, I'm beginning to consider a return to basics for more simplicity. Especially, since more simplicity means a much more enjoyable hunt.

Just my two pennies, but I know there's got to be some others out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back