Poe Cabin fire

Moosie

Grand poopa
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/854/

Just talked to Tim Craig at boulder creek Outfitters and his Place is Wiped out....... Burnt to the ground without even a fence post standing.

this area is northern Idaho were I drew my Muledeer tag this year. I'm not sure of the Outcome, but I might eat this tag. Regardless, I hope them boyz that are fighting the fire stay safe. One of the Past Pres's of DHI has a Cabin that he's on his way up to to try to save it. Sounds liek the fire jsut jumped the Fire line.

BUMMER for the locals up there..........

Are you talking about BCO up near Peck?

Talked to (I believe it was Tim) about a whitetail hunt there a few years back but never pulled it off but my partner went and had nothing but good things to say about the place. Damn that sucks, he evidently had quite the operation up there....lots of game/species and good mgt. practices from what I've been led to believe.

Jose..... I'm only shooting for a 174"er :rolleyes: I know I don't need an Outfitter but Unit 13 is 90%+ private and need access to land. All the outfitter does for me is provide a little access in places ;)

MarvB, Yah, BCO. They produce some great critters and are awesome I hear. I will give a Full report when I get back. tim is the Owner so I'm guesing he talked to you. His Website is :

http://www.bouldercreekoutfitters.com/

Thats a real shame, hope he gets everything up and going by start of the seasons. But, I guess this is already screwed up alot of set ups. I always enjoyed watching his hunts on TV. John

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/870

Says it's 45% contained. That sounds good..Errrr.... "better" at least !!!

Growth Potential Extreme

Terrain Difficulty Extreme

Remarks The Poe Cabin Fire has burned 1267 acres of BLM, 12,038 acres of private land, 1,067 acres of State of Idaho lands, and 33,521 acres of Forest Service land.

Almost 700 people on it :

Total Personnel 696
Size 50,000 acres
Percent Contained 45%

Anyone else have fires going in your area's ?

We have a good blaze going north of Helena in the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness. Nothing that I hunt has been threatened as of yet. I haven't checked the incident reports but it looked as if it was spreading quickly yesterday.

For you guys in MT, what are the chances that they'll declare more restrictive fire stages before hunting season?

Moosie - I'm working on the Poe Cabin fire right now in the GIS shop. The majority of the Fire growth is mainly the southern end of the fire. The northern edge is mostly contained at Highrange ridge/Howard Camp/Sotin Creek. The southern end is just north of Sheep Creek. I'll try to keep you posted.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_ID_Wildfires_Blame.html

Meanwhile, the owner of Boulder Creek Outfitters, about eight miles north of White Bird in northern Idaho, said a backfire started last Thursday by firefighters in their efforts against the Poe Cabin Fire was left unmonitored and, when winds came up, burned over a mountain and down the other side to destroy the six buildings at the ranch on Friday.

"The backburn is what burnt us," Tim Craig told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "There was no monitoring it and the winds came and brought it over the hill."

He said he sent six employees out of the area when he saw flames approaching and then used heavy equipment to try to build a fire line around the ranch, but was forced to flee.

"I had to jump in a vehicle and drive through a bunch of flames," he said. "It killed deer right in the road. They weren't burnt at all - just no oxygen. The fire took all the air."

He said he is considering legal action.

HUMMMmmmmmmm......... Hope my forked horn isn't dead that i was going up to shoot ;)

Seriously though, Fire is a crazy thing and amaisingly how fast it spreads. Sounds liek they are getting a handle on the Poe Cabin fire now though ?>?>

Oscar its Dewain PM me and maybe i got a little something something for ya in unit 13

The Middlefork of the Salmon has blown-up nicely. Most of my sheep unit has been shut down except a tiny sliver that I was intending to use. I'm trying to decide if I should postpone the first trip a few weeks or tough it out.

Just found out that my sheep zone is shut down to foot traffic. Two weeks until the opening day. Anyone know any raindances??

Back