Poached Montana Shiras

YoungGun

"FWP said the moose’s antlers were 56 inches wide, with a Boone & Crockett gross score of 167 and a net score of 145.

In addition to the lifetime ban from hunting and trapping, Berry’s sentence includes a three-year suspension of fishing privileges, $12,100 in fines and restitution, and a suspended five-year imprisonment term."

Glad the guy was caught, and his punishment is stiffer than some I've seen, but I've never understood the ban from hunting for poachers- they've shown that they'll disregard the law already. Would like to see actual jail time and criminal forfeiture of any property used in the commission of the crime e.g. truck, gun, optics, etc., in addition to the fine and the ban.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-courts/helena-man-sentenced-for-poaching-trophy-moose

Such a sad deal to poach an animal just for its head gear. They deserve much more respect than to go out like that.

Good to see a case like this solved.

Such a sad deal to poach an animal just for its head gear. They deserve much more respect than to go out like that.
Absolutely. My moose was and is the best game meat I've enjoyed in my life. To top it off, it's an outstanding bull that I'm sure a legal tag holder would have been beyond proud to take.

Would have been number 2 moose B&C / P&Y in Montana for 2019 if taken legally.

This is just a thought and I doubt that it would work, but I think we all agree these poachers get off to easy. States have put a value on these animals based on trophy. What if we could charge them with theft? They are stealing from the state and the public when they illegally kill one of these animals. Theft of that monetary value has a much higher penalty then what some of these poachers are getting.

This is just a thought and I doubt that it would work, but I think we all agree these poachers get off to easy. States have put a value on these animals based on trophy. What if we could charge them with theft? They are stealing from the state and the public when they illegally kill one of these animals. Theft of that monetary value has a much higher penalty then what some of these poachers are getting.
I'm pretty sure Texas has something similar to what you're talking about in not positive though.

Absolutely. My moose was and is the best game meat I've enjoyed in my life. To top it off, it's an outstanding bull that I'm sure a legal tag holder would have been beyond proud to take.

Would have been number 2 moose B&C / P&Y in Montana for 2019 if taken legally.
Agree, both of my moose were some of the best tenderloin I’ve ever had. #2 score in MT that year if legal?

You would think the fine would at least be the cost of buying a moose hunt at an auction. I don't know any trophy moose hunts that don't hit 20K and beyond.
In some states, judges do have the option of taking trucks, guns, etc. that were used in the crime. Unfortunately, most sentences are handed down by judges that have never had a tag in their pocket.

Agree, both of my moose were some of the best tenderloin I’ve ever had. #2 score in MT that year if legal?
Correct, based on those moose that were recorded in the record books that year for Montana. Any book Shiras is a real trophy, especially with the downturn in overall population many western states have been experiencing. Having talked to a few Montana biologists, they have a very difficult time accurately accounting for moose populations and proposed tag numbers. I'm assuming this moose came from 390, which offers two moose tags a year. So having a mature bull poached could represent a fairly significant portion of this unit's Bull moose.

Reactions: DJ1
The moose I shot was aweful table fare. Regardless, poachers and child molesters…both should get an automatic death sentence

Yeah lifetime “bans” mean nothing to those who don’t care in the first place…6-12 months (min) in a cell sharing a soap-on-rope with bubba might just have a far more reaching effect 🤬

It may mean nothing to them, but on the other hand, would you prefer that they be given as much priority in the tag pool as you? And if they decide to poach again, it will be easier to throw a bigger book at them, no?

I don't quite understand why letting them legally hunt again is okay with anyone here? I'm not okay with it, so a lifetime ban is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

What's the penalty for stealing a $50k truck? Is it more or less than the penalty for shooting a moose? I would see those two things as being of comparable value, though I'm sure a lawyer would have no trouble beating down the value of the moose.

Correct, based on those moose that were recorded in the record books that year for Montana. Any book Shiras is a real trophy, especially with the downturn in overall population many western states have been experiencing. Having talked to a few Montana biologists, they have a very difficult time accurately accounting for moose populations and proposed tag numbers. I'm assuming this moose came from 390, which offers two moose tags a year. So having a mature bull poached could represent a fairly significant portion of this unit's Bull moose.
I was fortunate enough to draw the only NR tag for a unit in UT in 2020. IMO the penalty for poaching is not severe enough, it even close! Poachers don’t care about hunting license privileges
getting revoked, jail time should be mandatory.

It may mean nothing to them, but on the other hand, would you prefer that they be given as much priority in the tag pool as you? And if they decide to poach again, it will be easier to throw a bigger book at them, no?

I don't quite understand why letting them legally hunt again is okay with anyone here? I'm not okay with it, so a lifetime ban is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

What's the penalty for stealing a $50k truck? Is it more or less than the penalty for shooting a moose? I would see those two things as being of comparable value, though I'm sure a lawyer would have no trouble beating down the value of the moose.
I don't think anyone is advocating that they shouldn't lose their hunting privilege's, just that a ban for something that they don't respect in the first place is not nearly enough. Historically, that bigger book you speak of doesn't get thrown. Most poachers are again given a fine, reminded that they have lost their hunting privilege's, and go on their way. One would be very hard-pressed to find a state that consistently jails poachers.

Brent I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that they NOT have their hunting privileges revoked, I’m just saying that such would have a significantly bigger impact on those (most of us here I would hazard a guess) who actually gave a chit about rules/laws/licenses etc. in the first place. They probably don’t care as they’re already working beyond the law.

I might be totally wrong but I would think that not many of the repeat poacher variety get licenses in the first place or probably compete in the tag pools. Might be they like to live on both sides the street, who knows?

But yes, STILL ban them for life IN ADDITION to time at the white bars hotel 👍🏻

Brent I don’t think anyone here is suggesting that they NOT have their hunting privileges revoked, I’m just saying that such would have a significantly bigger impact on those (most of us here I would hazard a guess) who actually gave a chit about rules/laws/licenses etc. in the first place. They probably don’t care as they’re already working beyond the law.

I might be totally wrong but I would think that not many of the repeat poacher variety get licenses in the first place or probably compete in the tag pools. Might be they like to live on both sides the street, who knows?

But yes, STILL ban them for life IN ADDITION to time at the white bars hotel 👍🏻
Perfectly said

"FWP said the moose’s antlers were 56 inches wide, with a Boone & Crockett gross score of 167 and a net score of 145.

In addition to the lifetime ban from hunting and trapping, Berry’s sentence includes a three-year suspension of fishing privileges, $12,100 in fines and restitution, and a suspended five-year imprisonment term."

Glad the guy was caught, and his punishment is stiffer than some I've seen, but I've never understood the ban from hunting for poachers- they've shown that they'll disregard the law already. Would like to see actual jail time and criminal forfeiture of any property used in the commission of the crime e.g. truck, gun, optics, etc., in addition to the fine and the ban.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-courts/helena-man-sentenced-for-poaching-trophy-moose
Hang em' high! 💥

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back