MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

pike on a fly

Hem

Been trying for one of these bad boys for the last few years on a local river.Tonight I scored.Tied on a big nasty using some tyger wire,which was fortunate 'cuz he chewed through the weedless mono on the hook.32" approx. 9 lbs according to my boga grip.VERY PSYCHED!!:hump:

Attachments

• DSCN6929.jpg
    DSCN6929.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 235
I thought snotrockets on fly rods was a spring thing. Guess for the talented among us, it can be an August event. Big pike, bigger smile. Congrats.

My brain is confused....pike in a river with sagebrush in the photo background?? Does not fit my idea of "pike fishing" Well done

Thanks guys.From the standpoint of a long-time flyrodder I consider it a sweet accomplishment for the following: a) pike on a fly. b) pike on a fly in southwest Montana. c) a river pike.25 minutes from home I can pursue with fly rod brown trout,rainbows,pike and carp all in the same section, its almost too good to be true,capped by great views of the mountains and yes...plenty of sagebrush.Not gloating,just appreciative.Now for big brother.heh heh

Forgot to inquire if anybody has a favorite recipe they care to pass along for preparing Mr.Snotrockets(as BigFin coined)?

That is AWESOME! I have caught a few using "BITE ME" flies (made by a guy who takes care of my archery "stuff".

I have been on a bad run the past couple years and always resort to my spin rod/reel. Have to boost my morale before going back to the fly rod for those aligators!

Man, a world of a difference catching one on a fly rod... And it is awesome catching one period.

Grats HEM! Makes me want to go fishing... right now! :)

Thanks guys.From the standpoint of a long-time flyrodder I consider it a sweet accomplishment for the following: a) pike on a fly. b) pike on a fly in southwest Montana. c) a river pike.25 minutes from home I can pursue with fly rod brown trout,rainbows,pike and carp all in the same section, its almost too good to be true,capped by great views of the mountains and yes...plenty of sagebrush.Not gloating,just appreciative.Now for big brother.heh heh

Hem, Are you familir with cleaning pike? A lot of people won't eat them because they have a ton of bones. Look up "how to clean a pike" on youtube and there are several videos showing how to clean them and get boneless fillets. After you get your boneless fillets I chunk them up about the size of a fishstick and fry them with the following batter:

Krunchy Fish Batter

1/3 cup Corn Starch
2/3 cup Flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

*Heat oil to 375 degrees
*Mix ingredients with milk into a thin batter
*Add 2 tblsp of heated oil into the batter, mix well
*roll fillets in flour, set aside for 2 minutes
*dip, drain off excess batter, fry till golden brown

They come out like fish and chips you order in a restaraunt. My favorite fish to eat!! My wife does the lemon/tartar sauce, but I like wasabi on mine. Enjoy and let us know how it comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back