Caribou Gear

Piggy # 10

LCH

Was lucky enough to come up on a small group of hogs last night and take the biggest one. She had 7 unborn piglets inside of her. They aren't very thick in the area I hunt (yet), so wild pork is a somewhat rare delight for us. This one should be excellent eating, about 150 lbs..

sow_zpsdeb42d1c.jpg

Well done! I've heard of them being in your part of the state, but haven't laid eyes on one nor know anybody that has. Well done! IMO, pigs are the last thing I'd like to see in Indiana.

The 7 unborn would be gestating within a year..exponentially prolific and destructive breeders.

She was the biggest of 4 out there, I'd say the other 3 were from her last litter.

I've seen piglets and tracks pretty much any time of the year, I don't think they really have a "mating season".

She was the biggest of 4 out there, I'd say the other 3 were from her last litter.

I've seen piglets and tracks pretty much any time of the year, I don't think they really have a "mating season".

Oh they've got a ''Mating season''. It starts on Jan 1st. and runs till Dec 31st.
Do yourself a favor and kill those other 3 before they reproduce.

Way to go! That's slightly larger than I like 'em (I personally like 'em in the 80 to 120 lb range), but she'll make some fine sausage and cubed pork cutlets. BTW, kill 'em before they take over, since they'll completely run off your deer and the boars will even kill fawns and young deer to eat. They can be just as bad on your deer herd as coyotes and even worse for your property.

Congrats! I just finished making sausage and jerky out of the 120 lb.er that I shot in Florida a few weeks ago. Turned out amazing!

Emrah

Nice hog what do you think her weight?

Turned out to be 132 dressed.

Do you eat the piglets?

These were still pretty small fetuses.. I wouldn't think of eating them. I've shot a couple 30-40 pounders that I've quartered and grilled, smoked, slow cooked, etc. that were excellent.

Do yourself a favor and kill those other 3 before they reproduce.

They've actually been in the area for around 20 years, but the hunting pressure has kept them from exploding thus far. They have expanded to a fairly large 3 county area now, but they live in the thickest, nastiest cover around, and are pretty much 100% nocturnal. My hunting spots are really on the fringe of their range, and they come and go according to crop rotation, hunting pressure, logging, etc.

They are here to stay, but there are enough people getting after them to keep their numbers in check (thus far).

I brought three back from Florida that were killed over the MLK weekend. I had sausage made from all of the shoulders and sides, pork chops from most of the backstraps with the bone still in, and cubed the hams. I kept a couple of hams for baking, and cooked some of the tenderloins, and also kept a couple of the backstraps for cutting boneless chops. I also saved half of an 80 lb hog for the pit, along with all the ribs. The three I brought back were 80 lbs, 100 lbs and 125 lbs. Travis killed the two smallest ones, and my host killed the bigger one, along with one he kept that was 130 lbs. Every one of the sows were pregnant, and the 80 lb was a little boar that hadn't dropped his nuts, yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back