Petersen's Hunting on Public Land Divestiture

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Petersen's Hunting magazine is known for being one of the more conservative publications in the hunting sphere. I found it very interesting that the Editor, Mike Schoby, would dedicate his Editor's column to the topic and then run a very long article on the topic inside the magazine.

It will be interesting to see what kind of flack they get, if any. And, just as interesting to see what the competitor magazines do to advocate for hunters on this topic of public lands. I hope they get a lot of positive feedback.

PETERSEN'S HUNTING _Page_1.jpg

PETERSEN'S HUNTING _Page_2.jpg

PETERSEN'S HUNTING _Page_3.jpg

PETERSEN'S HUNTING _Page_4.jpg

PETERSEN'S HUNTING _Page_5.jpg

This issue is growing to become something more than just a western issue and a hunter issue. It is climbing in priority in many other non-hunting publications. Should be interesting to watch how the political landscape morphs to the alliances that will form around the topic as the advocates for selling public lands continue their approach, now focused on a state-by-state legislative strategy that they hope to leverage to a national Congressional mandate.

What a great set of articles. The editor certainly doesn't pull any punches! Fact is, if there were no public land our hunting "industry" would be a small shadow of its present self. Glad to see more people appreciating that. We can do more to improve public land access and management, but only if we keep public lands in public hands.

Awesome.

Great articles and i love the side note on my favorite centerfire cartridge too. :D

What bothers me the most is what Mike Schoby says in his editor column. " If you support politicians who are in favor of selling your land to the highest bidder, you need to drop the mantra." We already know he and the magazine are very conservative, but if you read the article you see that the politicians leading the effort are conservative congressmen Paul Ryan and Jason Chaffetz. Now that is a hypocrate at his finest!
:W:

What bothers me the most is what Mike Schoby says in his editor column. " If you support politicians who are in favor of selling your land to the highest bidder, you need to drop the mantra." We already know he and the magazine are very conservative, but if you read the article you see that the politicians leading the effort are conservative congressmen Paul Ryan and Jason Chaffetz. Now that is a hypocrate at his finest!
:W:

I think he is making a point that if you are in favor of more hunters, then it is hypocritical to also be in favor of selling the hunting lands that help bring more hunters to the fold. Probably the diplomatic way of saying that many hunters need these public lands for their hunting opportunities, so don't sell them.

Whoever is in power in Washington, we need to hold their feet to the fire on the issues that are important to us. The people looking to profit from the sale of public lands will certainly be talking to them.

Great to see the folks at Petersen's going on record for this. Some guy named Ben also had an article in Western Hunter this month. While it will take effort from the hunters, the industry getting behind this publicly will be a huge boost.

My Takeaways from the articles-
1. don't blindly follow your political party.
2. quit spending like drunken sailors and we wouldn't have to sell assets to pay down the debt.

Seems like selling off land is a temporary fix that doesn't address the problem of unchecked spending. Short term solution to a long term problem. Even more exciting we get to add millions more to the welfare state over the next few years.

My Takeaways from the articles-
1. don't blindly follow your political party.
2. quit spending like drunken sailors and we wouldn't have to sell assets to pay down the debt.

Seems like selling off land is a temporary fix that doesn't address the problem of unchecked spending. Short term solution to a long term problem. Even more exciting we get to add millions more to the welfare state over the next few years.

It won't pay down the debt though, it won't make a dent.

I hope that some national entity (possibly initiated by the outdoor industry) can be established to consolidate our voices and voting power on this issue. As much as I like our congressman from Wis. and find most of his positions to be rational and well thought out I cannot fathom his approach on this issue. Especially coming from a fellow hunter.

Rep. Ryan Zinke and Sen. Steve Daines are going to hear from me in opposition to divesting federal lands. Zinkes' answer to this question was fairly non-responsive and not very reassuring. Sen. Tester has been clear in opposing selling federal lands. All 535 of these folks need to hear from public land hunters, as enough phone calls and e-mails do get their attention.

Maybe this is an issue that is the proverbial straw that draws groups in a unified voice. Groups that may differ on use issues etc. where said differences are exacerbated by rhetoric by both sides while our common ground should be what unites us in a concerted effort to tell DC to pound sand.

It is good to see this discussion being taken up by the Peterson's crew. I grew disenchanted with them a few years ago, as they seemed out of touch with the average hunter when most of their stories are either based outside the US or are strictly guided affairs.

Maybe they will try and support this message by incorporating some DIY/public land hunts on their shows. I am certain they reach a wide audience, and it can only help the cause.

I'm sure SFW can jump in and "help"?

"Hi, I'm from SFW and I'm here to help!" :D

Your too late, SMB. SFW has been working on that strategy for months. See the link below. They are hosting Montana's "Grand Purveyor" of the idea to take your public lands, Senator Jennifer Fielder.

https://chumly.com/n/2992cf8

Really, you cannot make this stuff up. SFW is in serious need of cred following the ass handings they got over the last five years. I suspect they think this will give them some profile in the legislature.

We need to start a pool as to what date it will be when SFW comes out in favor of selling the public lands. Or, maybe they already have.

It doesn't appear that I can attend the meeting on Dec 10th, unless I am a member or guest of MT-SFW.

Is anyone on here that I can attend with as a guest? I'll give you something commensurate with the opportunity of being a MT-SFW member.

I can't comprehend why this crack-pot idea still exists.

I have really started to look forward to reading Mike Schoby's editorial each month. This was just another reason for me to follow the magazine. Makes one appreciate the work of organizations like the RMEF and realize that we still have a lot of work ahead of us.

Just got that issue before heading to deer camp up north last week, got to read everything in the evenings, and found it to be one of the better issues with those reads in it!

Back