PB Walleye

R.K.

Woke up yesterday morning to rain, so I stuck around home and made sourdough pancakes. The rain quit around 8:00, so I grabbed the bait out of the fridge and hit the road.

Spent the entire day bank fishing (since I don't have a boat yet), only caught five fish. The first one was on a corner where the wind was just hammering in all day, and took a deep jerk bait on a steady retrieve. But this is a smaller body of water, and it isn't stocked with walleye, so she lives to go make more little walleye. From the looks of things, it's going to be a bunch.

IMG_20200504_112812.jpg

VID_20200504_112717_exported_26314_1588687612808.jpg

I've got a mark on my rod to how long she was, and I am guessing it's 28 in or so, and pushing 8 lb. I'll go measure the mark on the rod, but I'll never know the weight for sure.

I eventually got blown out of that corner because the wind just kicked up too bad and was getting a little cold and wet from the waves. I hopped around to another spot where I stayed entirely too long without getting a bite.

The third spot of the day was the calmest, but also had the shallowest water. I got three walleye on a floating worm harness that I was chucking out and dragging back, but I eventually ran out of worms. The last one came on a buck tail with a gulp minnow right at last light. These four fish didn't fare as well, since they were all 17 to 20-in males.

IMG_20200504_232225_01.jpg

I'm still new to walleye fishing, so this is one of the better days I've had. But I think I need to get a boat or a canoe or a kayak or something. Unless, of course, I can get a friend with a boat instead. 😁

Last edited:
Good job, it's hard to beat a day reeling in walleyes!

Thanks, everybody!

Those walleyes have some crazy color compared to the ones we have been pulling up lately. Dark water?

No, not really. Had about 4-5 feet of visibility for my baits in the clear portions, but as low as 2 ft in the cloudier areas where the waves were pounding in. Which I consider pretty good visibility, having grown up in the lower Midwest.

I think the fish are just now spawning, meaning the water's cold. That mixed with the water color is probably what causes the light color on these.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back