Pastrami?

WildWill

What are you guys trying to reach for the internal temp of your pastrami? I've heard everything from 130-145. Did 140 degrees last time seemed like to long.

I use Ruhlman’s recipe and it says 150. But most of the recipes I’ve seen also recommend braising at 275 before serving to improve tenderness.

Damn guess I've been overcooking them, thought they needed to get to around 200 like a brisket! Are you talking beef brisket pastrami or game meat?

What are you guys trying to reach for the internal temp of your pastrami? I've heard everything from 130-145. Did 140 degrees last time seemed like to long.

The last few I did I started on the smoker for an hour and then finished with the sous vide at 145 for a couple hours, they stay real juicy.

Damn guess I've been overcooking them, thought they needed to get to around 200 like a brisket! Are you talking beef brisket pastrami or game meat?
Game meat.
The last few I did I started on the smoker for an hour and then finished with the sous vide at 145 for a couple hours, they stay real juicy.
That sounds like a good idea I'm trying to make it come out a little less dry.

I follow the meateater pastrami recipe exactly except I don’t steam it at at the end. That has made it worse for me. I go to an internal temp of 145. Very good stuff.

I read a lot of stuff about the low temp needed. I went to 150 as well. But what I'll say is once I got distracted and it went to 180 and it was still ok. But 150 seems like a good mark. I wrap it loosly in foil so smoke still gets in but they sit in the juice while cooking. I think that helps it.

145+ for me. But I also use it more like jerky so I want more dry so it's able to be thrown in a pack for a day or two without molding

Charcuterie book says take beef to 150, but keep it below that as long as possible for a heavy smoke, then steam/reheat for a few hours until tender. I usually just slice really thin, so not a big deal if it's not super tender.

Charcuterie book says take beef to 150, but keep it below that as long as possible for a heavy smoke, then steam/reheat for a few hours until tender. I usually just slice really thin, so not a big deal if it's not super tender.
I think when I cooked beef pastrami to 200 the flavor was good and it was tender but it seemed over rendered so the fat had liquefied instead of staying marbled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back