Pardon my ignorance.

got fish?

I've been reading. (no, it's not the first time!)

I see alot of references on this board about G-Loomis and Curado. Would somone please enlighten me? Tell this feeble-minded fat guy what the big deal is.

First this post should have been in the tackle section. I have to agree that a Curado is a nice reel, but there are others out there. Daiwa millionare, Shimano bantam, (Do a search on E-bay) With proper maintenance even a meduim priced reel should last a long time. Most reels fail due to non maintenence. Advantages to a baitcaster is that you are able to control cast distance and placement better, although it is not impossible to due the same with a spinning reel.

Manufacturors are coming out with new technology all the time, Quantum is pulling up to Shimano.

RODS - Gloomis is probably the best factory rod money can buy. Yet these are "Factory" rods, where the Spline or Spine of the rod is not always found. A custom rod built to your specs or build one youeself is a much better option in my opinion. The cost may be the same, but in the long run it will prove to be a better investment. Building your own rod can be very enjoyable. Lots of good articles on the interent about rod building.

Yes Gloomis is expensive. I like Allstars, and some of the rods from Cabelas and BassPro shops are very nice.

Loomis rods are believed by many people (who almost have as much money as you) to be extremely sensitive and light rods. The prices are well out of my budget range and so I cannot speak authoritatively on the matter.

The Curado, on the other hand, is a baitcasting reel made by Shimano. It is almost legendary in its ability to be cast far without the obligatory bird's nests that morons like myself constantly put in such reels. Wal-mart carries them for $119.96. It is a lot of money, but if you are ever possessed of a mind to learn to cast with a baitcasting reel, it is a safe way to start. I will note, however, that I have purchased two other baitcast reels with very good success for significantly less cash. You want a good reel, however, since a cheap reel will not hold up well to repeated casts.
:cool:

The curdao is about the best reel for the money around $120 you can go higher and get better quality but your talking $250 per reel... I got my first curado because everyone else had one.. Now that I know how to use them I have 8 of them... if you set them up right you can cast very far with them... I only use a spinning reel for drop shotting. I personally dont like the bulk and balance of a spinning reel... and it doesnt reel in very fast as others have said... Its hard to burn a buzzbait in with a spinning reel and it throws the ballance off...

As far as the rods I would love to have enders and gl loomis but at $300 a pop out of my league right now.... I have all team diawa rods and 4-5 years ago they were $150... like them but after using a gl loomis that a buddy had I would like to upgrade....
Any quality rod works well as well as a quality reel.....
Delw

Are you talking new line?? if so yes.

Another trick to a spinning reel is not to use the reel itself to close the bail. Closing the bail by "reeling" the reel will throw a loop in it everytime. Use your hand manually to close the bail.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back