Caribou Gear

OYOA Next Season

jr young has something there,,,if oyoa had a"member draw" type of a thing for a oyoa hunt"on public land" "oyoa style",,,that could really be a cool thing to have a chance to do with Big fin and crew,,just throwing a bone?

DVR is already set! Looking forward to the new season to begin as well!

Awesome idea! all for it think it would be awesome.

jr young has something there,,,if oyoa had a"member draw" type of a thing for a oyoa hunt"on public land" "oyoa style",,,that could really be a cool thing to have a chance to do with Big fin and crew,,just throwing a bone?

On a serious note (without have any knowledge of the financial, legal and or other constraints of putting an episode together), an auction or raffle for the chance to go on a filmed hunt (OTC) would be cool if feasible.

We have thought about this, a lot. Every show and every production company has warned us against it, even though we are still not completely convinced to drop the idea.

I would only do it as a raffle. I would want it to provide a fair chance for all.

The problem lies in these issues.

1. You don't know who is going to be the picked winner. As much as I think everyone here is a great guy and would be fun to share camp with, many new people might sign up and we end up with someone who is not comfortable on camera, or not cooperative, or has a drinking problem, or cannot keep up physically, or .......

Most shows who have done it, say that was the biggest problem.

2. Each episode costs around $25,000 just to produce. Not counting network airtime buy, etc. When you invest that amount of money, the last thing you want is to have a guy who is hell bent on shooting what and when he wants. It takes a lot of discipline to hold off until the camera guy gives the OK, even with the chance of losing the opportunity. Also, some guys want to hold off for a dream animal, which is fine, except when we are trying to produce and episode and a very nice animal is standing 150 yards away.

3. Some guys have no interest in using sponsor gear. Yes, we have about as high quality of sponsors as you could ask for, so that might be less of an issue for us. If you are in front of our cameras, you are going to fly the flag of the companies who are committed to seeing greater promotion of the On Your Own hunter/hunting.

4. Releases. Yes, you have to sign a release that allows us to use your image however we want. No exceptions. Some people who have won these kind of drawing have a problem with that and want to restrict the release or be compensated for such.

Those are the biggest reasons. We will might do it some day. If so, it would probably be an antelope hunt or a deer hunt. Those are tags that are easier to draw, with some OTC and Left-over opportunities existing. They are also way easier from a physical exertion standpoint, so it would reduce the risk of putting a person in a situation where they are not physically able to finish the hunt.

I have thought about it a LOT. Don't be surprised if we do it. It will probably be a free drawing if we do it. The price for admission will probably be proof of membership in a conservation organization, and a request for your name, address, and email, so we could provide that to sponsors for marketing and in exchange, tell them they have to set up the winner in new gear from each sponsor.

I do think it would be a fun hunt, given the great guys who hang out on this site. Would probably give them a chance to see what goes on behind the cameras. And, would be another way to show how committed we, and our sponsors, are to the average guy.

It won't happen this year, given we have done all our tag apps and the schedule is pretty close to being finalized.

Hey Fin...I know there is a lot of things you have to take into consideration but I still hope you go through with it and a raffle is a great idea. (O wait CHEESE!!!) not camera shy....and my attitude is WHATEVER with just about everything. Drink....not when I hunt and I train 5 days a week. When I hunt if I can take a good rep. of an animal for the area I am hunting Im great with that and I ALWAYS do what my wife tells me to do....I can understand the sponsor gear think but C'Mon....Howa....MR.....Sitka....Kenetrek....are you kidding me....enough said...thats more than ANYONE could hope for and you could plaster my mug anywhere your heart desires. I think I know the perfect guy for a show......All kidding aside Fin...I am a fairly new guy around here as you can see from my posts and wanted to give you a great big thank you from the east coast for all you and your buddies do for the average guy like me. We have traded a few e-mails in the past and never once you did not respond to any of them and you were always straight forward with the info you gave me....thanks again and never stop what your doing. It is a HUGE asset to the hunting community.

Just about all your points touched on what I was figuring for my "other" constraints. It certainly is a big wild card when dealing with strangers. It could be perfect, it could be well intentioned but just not go well and it could be a complete disaster.

Hopefully it can happen and it goes well, I think it could be a really cool episode.

Back