Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

OYOA Goes to Utah - Archery elk

The strategy of looking for a huge bull in this pre-rut hunt, is going to be difficult. We all split up and glassed many different locations this morning. Not much to report.

Other hunters are reporting lots of cows and bulls in other parts of the unit, but the MR guys have their sights set on something pretty extraordinary. The web recon they have says this area, though having way fewer elk, holds some bigger elk. It is some really rough country, so if they spot the big one, I might volunteer to glass from afar, to make sure the bull doesn't move off in the middle of their stalk. ;)

When the plan requires mostly glassing, there are long periods of down time, waiting for afternoon, when the elk will be back up moving again. Guess that gives me time to catch up on my sleep.

One of you asked how the HP netbook is working. So far, so good. Here is a pic from about two minutes ago, so I guess that can give you some idea of the feasibility of using it to stay linked from some pretty remote locations. I am using Verizon, and even though my phone is dropping most every call, due to a weak signal, this little computer continues to stay connected and working great.

IMG_4075.JPG

Hope to have a pic of some elk to show this evening, and hopefully one of them "up close."

Just in from this evening's hunt. 3 bulls. Nothing huge. The biggest was a 300+/- 6X, who couldn't care what was going on., He had shed a while back, and was hard horned and very light colored in both coat and antler.

Wish I had pics to post but was too busy glassing for others to take any pics. Hope to have some more tomorrow.

Some guys stopped by camp and talked about the bugling bulls way north. Causes one to ask, "Then why are you not way north with the bugling bulls?"

I detect some BS in that report. Listened a lot this evening, thinking a young bull might be testing his vocals. Probably too early yet.

Time for bed.

Don't worry Randy.

If there's elk out there, Crow and Seacat will find them.....

The cows have started to split up here and get a little more vocal. The bulls are still hanging out here together but expect that to change soon, next week or two. The little guys may start trying to push cows before the big guys get involved by mid september.

Got some great footage this morning of a really nice bull. Probably in that 320 to 330 range. He was following a group of 25 cows. He was bugling some. There was a small raghorn int he nix.

The camera guy says he caught a glimpse of a really nice bull on the periphery, but he already had a busted left side. We are going to examine the footage and see if that bull was really broken. Seems early for such breakage, unless he did it while rubbing.

I am trying to upload pics I am taking, but it is hard to do. The SD card is giving me fits. Time to swap out cards, or maybe change operator.

More tonight.

Tonight, everyone split up and went separate directions. I saw 5 bulls, the biggest being around 300. Everyone else saw at least one bull, but nothing that Andrew is looking for.

I did hear a bugle this evening, so I am now wondering if there was another elk I did not see, or if some hunter was dumb enough to climb into that canyon and "toot his flute." I doubt it. Got dark before I could locate him.

Not sure what the morning plan will be. Other hunters are reporting seeing lots of elk in the other part of the unit, but nothing reported of the size Andrew is looking for. This is turning out to be a very tough hunt.

Add to the fact that we are trying to film it, and all that comes with the filming process. I hope we don't regret turning down that really nice bull this morning.

I am on a mountain side, doing this in the dark. I am going to post a couple pics, then head down by head lamp, "scrape my fangs," and hit the sack.

Hope to have a big bull report tomorrow.

Ace camera man, in action. Trying his best to stay on the trail of the MR guys.
IMG_4087.JPG

Sun setting on a very neat evening. This is a cool place, with bugling elk, warm breezes and green aspens.
IMG_4089-1.JPG

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back