OTC Mule or Pronghorn

texashunting2015

I would like some info on states where getting OTC licenses is doable. I am not particular about species but have seen from the start of research I am doing that Deer is more common.

I don't mind doing the legwork to track down info, especially as I have time. Not able to go this year but will put it on the calendar for next. There is though, a ton of information to sort through. Any chance someone can point me in the right direction? What species should a beginner start with? Is there a particular state that is best for OTC? I used to be a climbing guide and did some mountaineering so don't limit your choices too much.

Thanks for any help ya'll can provide!

Not OTC, but Colorado has some easy draw deer tags that are decent.

Wyoming too, for both species. Buy a point for each this summer and you'll have a few options for next year.

Montana has surplus deer tags every year.

I hear good things about Idaho deer hunting, but haven't hunted there yet myself.

Just know OTC usually means much more pressure in those units. Get some points and get a decent tag.

You can build points while still hunting. Usually leftover elk and deer in Montana. Leftover antelope in Wyoming. Good areas in Colorado for deer and elk that don't require points. Idaho elk also comes to mind.

WY sets aside a bucket of tags for non-residents so is nice to know what the prize is as you go to apply.

WY allows you to apply for pronghorn and mule deer with more than just a 1st Choice. If you draw the 1st Choice then your accumulated points go to 0. If you draw any choice other than 1st then you do not lose your accumulated points. There are leftover tags for pronghorn each year and those do not affect points. Some of the tags are set aside to be awarded in a random process so you could draw the best unit as your 1st Choice though the odds are small until you are in the Max Pool which could take over a decade if not two or three.

You can still buy a point for 2016 in WY but do this now so do not forget before the deadline. Buy a point now if you want to hunt WY. You will be ahead of about 1 in 5 applicants in 2017 because they drew a 1st Choice this year so will start 2017 with 0 points while you will have 1 for 2017. When tag demand exceeds quality tags, you should take advantage of every edge you can get. Get the point.

Most if not all pronghorn units have at least a few quite large bucks so my guidance is to build up 3-5 points while you hunt on 2nd Choice or leftover tags then pick a unit that only takes a few points and get that tag for a hunt that with some research should offer more public land and less hunting pressure on the pronghorn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back