Original Silvertips

My dad used to shoot these. Kind of an innovative design for the time, using a lighter nose on the bullet (aluminum) moving the center of gravity back. The Aluminum nose also reduced bullet deformation in the magazine caused by recoil. Plus they looked cool. Ha! I know my dad and pretty sure a brother of mine killed some mule deer with these. I remember one recovered bullet from a deer that was mushroomed 'text book perfect'. 130 grain in 270 Win.

I must be Old as I remember all to these. First the Winchester Silver tips in My Yellow Box 300 H&H in both 150gr and 180gr used the 150gr on Antelope and the one Black Bear I have shot was with 180gr Silver Tip and FYI it was a MOA factory load.
Remington Bronze point was ahead of its time as all the plastic tip and aluminum tip is now copying Remington's idea higher BC and weight to the rear.
Where you will find some to reload I have no idea but Nosler BT will give you the same performance.

I got lucky and bought a batch of 30 30 bullets for reloading on an local online auction and low and behold, there were two 100 count bags of 150 gr silvertips in there. Going to try and shoot a deer with the old 336A next month. Very accurate bullet.

I have an original box of 20 180 gr. .300 H&H Silvertips. Price on the sticker is $10.05. I really have no need for them and not certain what it is worth.

There is 195 308 170 gr for sale now on Gunbroker. Already over $100. I almost spelled bunbroker. People would think i was a pimp or something.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back