MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Oregon deer

Ridge Runner

Howdy all

Looks like I'll be hunting locally this year but already looking into next years getaway. Can anybody give me a clue on the Oregon hunts for Mule deer with rifle. Basically asking are they all draws and what kind of chance to draw does a first time app have. Any starting points. Just like an idea.

Thanks

All mule deer hunting in Oregon is by draw only, and non-residents are limited to 5% of the tags; in the best, most popular units outfitters are given half of the non-resident quota for their clients, so in those units the do-it-yourself non-resident hunter is limited to only 2 1/2% of the tags. So for the best units it takes several years to draw. But there are many units you can draw with no points, or just 1 point. The units that are mostly private land are easy to draw, and so are the units with limited road access. Just depends on the type of hunt you're wanting. Best thing to do is look at the hunting regs online: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/reg_book.pdf

Look at the number of permits for each unit and the number of applicants. I know Easts Biggs and West Biggs you could draw with no points because they are almost all private land, but if you're willing to pay a trespass fee you might get access to a good place to hunt. Also look at the point summary report for buck deer: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/controlled_hunts/reports/

You do have to buy a hunting license to apply, so if you don't draw, it will still cost around $80.

Washington Hunter said:
All mule deer hunting in Oregon is by draw only, and non-residents are limited to 5% of the tags; in the best, most popular units outfitters are given half of the non-resident quota for their clients, so in those units the do-it-yourself non-resident hunter is limited to only 2 1/2% of the tags.

Wait till Buzz sees this one! And he thought AZ was a selfish state:rolleyes:

How dare the fish and game work to help its residents.:eek:

Basser,

As usual, you still dont get it...AZ doesnt guarantee NR any permits...not even one.

No shock you still fail to realize that.

Buzz is right, AZ has an up 10% cap. Potentailly no NR could be drawn in any one particular unit. With that being said, the last time I purchased the draw data for hunts (2001,2002) all the NR quotas were met. This wasn't state wide but for 3 archery elk units, three rifle elk hunts and three mule hunts. I know that we book out every year with NR hunters.

Don't worry...at least you always know that you're right.

Just had to check to see if you were paying attention:D

Well John...I dropped the girlfriend a couple months back and I sometimes miss the banter of someone calling me an idiot and telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.....then Buzz fixes all that for me|oo :D

Basser,

You are an idiot...and dont even know the tag allocations in the state you live, hunt, and supposedly guide in...

I bet you just dumped the girlfriend because you were tired of hearing the truth...and she was smarter than you...which wouldnt take much.

BuzzH said:
You are an idiot...

Thanks hon....I mean Buzz. Needed that tonight:p

BuzzH said:
and supposedly guide in...

I do not guide nor did I ever claim to guide. But then again you do know more than I could ever aspire to, so maybe I do and didn't even know it:rolleyes:

I was hoping I mis-read that you did guide...I'd feel sorry for any client that would have to suffer through that misfortune.

Let's check the instant replay folks....

BuzzH said:
I was hoping I mis-read that you did guide...

Still a little blurry so let's check it again....

BuzzH said:
I was hoping I mis-read that you did guide...

Still unsure if that was an admission to being incorrect. Think we should send it to the judges.

Judges, what do you think?:confused:

Sorry bout that.

RidgeRunner, if you don't draw for Muley there is always the option of buying an OTC tag for Black Tail along the coastal regions. The area is thick and wet most of the time but can be quite rewarding.

BuzzH said:
Basser,

As usual, you still dont get it...AZ doesnt guarantee NR any permits...not even one.hump

No shock you still fail to realize that.

That a good thing!...hump Unless your an outfitter why would that bother anyone.

all mule deer rifle will take at least a few points for a non resident to draw,there is a book called percentage tags that has the odds calculated and is really nicely done to tell odds on specific draws even for non residents.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back