MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Opening Day Of Deer Season

DavidAk

We made it out for an overnight trip on opening day. We saw around 15 deer, 4 of which were bucks, but no big ones. We were mainly scouting a new area, and trying out some new gear (camera, vidcam, hammock).

I posted these elsewhere on other forums, and thought I'd share them here also....

dave

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

DSC_0858.jpg

DSC_0875.jpg

Awesome country David, thanks for the pics. I will assume you are chasing sitkas? How tough is it to get within bow range?

Oh man those pics get me fired up! Looks like fantastic country be in. That hammock looks comfy, but is there a rain shell involved for inclement weather?

Glad you guys liked the photos. We were after Sitka Blacktails, at an elevation probably just under 3000 feet. We haven't bow hunted them before. It's not difficult to call them into bow range though, during rut. I'm not a bowhunter, so can't say much about that part.

We were primarily scouting, and passed up a couple 3x3's, though we strongly considered a large-bodied fork with good spread, simply for good eating and some video footage.

The Hennessy is the UL Backpacker Asym. I only tried it one night. Need to experiment more, froze my backside off at night in a Wiggy's UL 20deg bag, with no pad. Temps didn't get very low, certainly not to freezing, but the bag was compressed under me and the cold air made itself known. Also, felt a little bent like a banana and my shoulders pushed in a bit...not the flat sleeping I had read about. I think there's potential, so I'll spend a week or so in it starting the 17th. Probably not easy to tell, but there is a rainfly in the picture, and it seems quite adequate.

More to come after the next outing in about 10 days.

We'll see..I messed around with it a little the next day and discovered I could have set it up better. Won't pass judgement yet.

On another note, our Kifaru LH's kicked ass again....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back