Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oops......

Would be cool to have a Hutntalk 8~SOME.

That's a mental visual I just did not need today....

Good luck on the hunt Moosie. From the folks I've talked with that have gone all they can say is they can't wait to go back. Turns out getting there and back isn't too hard. Getting your animals back... hope you get good finance at the bank for the 2nd mortgage. :p

cmc

Looks liek there is 5 of us going right now. 12 months and counting......

I hope those guys going this year take good pictures !!

Did you get your plane tickets lined out? When are you leaving?

We're flying Delta, leaving on the 21st of May. 2 days in Kruger, 7 days hunting, and 3 days in Durban golfing/fishing/etc.

We ended up with Delta vs the South African Air/United route. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about SAA lately. Like the posiblity that they may be grounded in the US next month?

Did you get trip insurance?

We ended up with Delta vs the South African Air/United route. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about SAA lately. Like the posiblity that they may be grounded in the US next month?

Did you get trip insurance?

Are you flying from ATL to JoBerg? WE took that cattle car in July. I think its the best way to get there, certainly the shortest. Many RSA folks fly into germany than back to NY for some reason. The outfitter likes to fly, of all things, Arab air or something like that to Dubai than hop back to NY. Go figure.

Go tell your DR. you are nervous about flying and they will give you some nite nite pills.

I used credit card miles to get business class on Delta. I had to buy another few hundred dollars of miles, but it was worth it and cost me less than a coach seat would have without miles. For that long a flight, I am just too old to be cramped in coach...but I may have to do that when and if I take my son over in a couple/few years. I doubt I'd have enough miles for 2 business class seats, but I may have enough for 2 coach seats.

International baggage information
Customers traveling to/from the United States and all international destinations are required to have their baggage checked 45 minutes prior to flight departure time.
Maximum linear dimensions of all bags: 62 inches/158cm (length + width + height) each
The number of checked bags permitted varies with your Mileage Plus status and/or class of service

Please review the information below for additional details and exceptions.

International destinations
(excluding travel to/from Brazil, El Salvador, The Philippines):

Customers

Economy Class 2 bags, maximum 50 pounds/23kg each

First or Business Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Global Services, 1K, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold Members 3 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Military customers on tour 2 duffel bags, sea bags or B-4 bags up to 70 pounds/32kg and 115 linear inches/292cm

Fees for baggage more than 70 pounds/32kg or exceeding the maximum linear dimensions vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details.

But remember Moosie, they're gonna count your rifle as a bag as well. I didn't think they would. I brought two suitcases, one with all my clothes and the other full of school supplies I had collected over the previous year that I gave to the outfitter to donate to the local schools and my rifle and they tried to charge me an extra $100 for one of em'.

Luckily I used my charm and wit to get one of them exused. :D Surprised it worked. Of course, I wouldn't try that if I were you. ;)

There's no way a guy needs more than one bag or suitcase anyway. People ALWAYS bring too many clothes and things they don't use over there. Me included. Next time I'll know.

You will enjoy Kruger! Take both still and video cameras! Never thought I would enjoy "Photo Safaris" until I did a couple in Tanzania....WOW!
I got a couple of Bar names in Durbin but know y'all would not be interested!
BTW,
"all" hunting areas in SA are not fenced and most that are still have what I consider "Fair Chase"...sometines too Fair!

Warren is bringing a dual gun case. And one bag. That leaves me for 2 bags. I won't need 2 bags but I'll need one and a half. That will leave extra room for something !>!>!

Seems I think About Africa and how close it is... then forget about it for a couple weeks... then it's a Couple weeks closer next time I think about it. Last I remember, I had about 4 months. Now I have 2....... Gesh,,,, Tick,Tock,Tick Tock :D:D

Envious...I'll probably see a few Argali, Ibex and maybe some Marco Polo sheep from where I'll be sitting. Not that I'll be able to pull the trigger on one.

Well.... If you were to be cleaning your gun and it went off...... ;)

Take a Camera, is that legal ?

Moosie do you have all your permits? Have you been to the customs to get your guns and other gear checked in? How about your SAP gun import forms? What about your shipping info to get your trophy's home?

Don't wait until the last minute....it sneaks up on you.

What IDHunters said!!! In SPADES !!
Let's see now....
We must now have: Certified copy of pic and sig page of Passport, certified copy of Customs Form 4457, Letter of Invitation from Outfitter with dates, statement of Outfitters PH number for Provinces authorized to conduct hunts with his address and phone numbers, ammo for only firearms being temporaraily imported, limited weight of ammo, and the good old SAPS 520 filled out in BLACK ink (no other color accepted)....don't forget you are also required to have at least two blank pages on your Passport and four more months validity! Oh, and the invite letter should name species, where you are hunting and recommended caliber! All fun after that !!

About 6 weeks ago a guy comes in and asks me about Africa. I ask him about his permits and such and he looks at me with a blank face. I ask when he's leaving....he says 3 weeks!

Needless to say he was really busy getting his "stuff" together. He comes back today. Hope it all went well.

Moosie-I think the closest custom's office is in Salt Lake. Monday -Friday 8 am -4:30 pm is their hours.

Back