Caribou Gear Tarp

OnXMaps app and roads

Backstrap

I'm planning an antelope hunt Randy style (mostly private land, accessing isolated public parcels) and am wondering if I can count on the Hunt App to keep me from driving on private roads.

If not, how can I confirm that roads are public accessible outside of navigating MS Access data? How do others do this?

County GIS for county roads, BLM local office (GIS guy) for BLM roads, Forest for FS roads.

I send emails asking for the person with authority to provide the information, then send a KML file (Google Earth) with roads marked and ask that person to provide easement information. For last years Elk hunt I got starting and ending section numbers for nearly a dozen roads in the unit. I've done the same in NM. I have had stellar service from multiple BLM district offices in both WY and NM.

The Forest MVUM map shows "open for travel" roads and restrictions but doesn't show all roads where an easement may exist on a "closed for motor vehicle travel" road.

Your best bet is to contact that county and ask about particular roads, in my opinion.

The USFS has an online app that shows current roads open to travel, but its doesn't cover recent road closures such as forest fires.

I have found that Onx has been fairly reliable, but it sometimes shows old roads that are no longer open. The county offices are usually the best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back