Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Onxhunt chip question

I have to agree 100% with Brendan. I've saved the maps for hunts in Colorado and Kentucky where cellular connection was non-existent. It worked amazingly well. I don't understand the "use a GPS for a GPS and a phone for a phone". Who wouldn't want one less piece of equipment to charge every day? Or one less thing to pack around all day? Or a bigger screen? Or a touchscreen? I could go on and on. It's a comfort thing with most people probably. They already know how to run their GPS, but figuring out the app takes some time I guess. To say it "works like crap", I can't agree with. (in full open honesty, I pay for OnXmaps, and I don't work there, they just saved my arse many times)

Well I agree with you , I've had the onx app for years on my phone, now on my iPhone 7 it's incredible but how do u know where u are when you lose cell coverage ?

you download by the square mile, so I just download the areas I plan to be in. you are right though, if you have no idea where you plan to go, it would not work that well. I usually have a 10 square mile or so area I know i'll be keying in on. realistically, I have a much smaller area than that I've deemed as my focal point.

you download by the square mile, so I just download the areas I plan to be in. you are right though, if you have no idea where you plan to go, it would not work that well. I usually have a 10 square mile or so area I know i'll be keying in on. realistically, I have a much smaller area than that I've deemed as my focal point.

ok I did that today, I took an area way bigger than I will be in and did the low profile download so atleast in that area I will know if im on private or public, then for the 15-20 mile area I will be in I did the high profile (took about 1/2hour to download) download and that looks to be just as accurate as if you had service . It was actually easier to do than I thought. This will be a big help, then I can also use my garmin Dakota 20 with the chip as a backup . thanks guys . I may still try it in a Nuvi as well, would be sweet to have that chip in a 7" screen on the dash so everyone in the vehichle can see instead of asking the guy with the gps 25 times a minute where we are at :hump:

I have a nuvi 1350. It seems to be working fine. Since I'm in Indiana I can't verify 100%. The public sections showed up ok, so did the two tracks. It allowed me to manually tap a city and gave me a route. However it did not allow me to type in an address. Gave me a "no map data available." When I did the last update I had to put in a chip for extra memory so I assume that's the reason for the warning.

I have a nuvi 1350. It seems to be working fine. Since I'm in Indiana I can't verify 100%. The public sections showed up ok, so did the two tracks. It allowed me to manually tap a city and gave me a route. However it did not allow me to type in an address. Gave me a "no map data available." When I did the last update I had to put in a chip for extra memory so I assume that's the reason for the warning.

Ok I bought a 7" Nuvi . I have to be in montana for work in a few weeks so I shall try it then

To say it "works like crap", I can't agree with. (in full open honesty, I pay for OnXmaps, and I don't work there, they just saved my arse many times)

If you have tips, please share them.

Like you, I downloaded some very specific areas. Once I was in the field, if I didn't have a cell phone connection I saw blank, even though I was in an area where the downloaded map should have worked.
So, that's why I agreed that it works like crap.

If you have tips, please share them.

Like you, I downloaded some very specific areas. Once I was in the field, if I didn't have a cell phone connection I saw blank, even though I was in an area where the downloaded map should have worked.
So, that's why I agreed that it works like crap.

Same thing happenned to me a couple times.

after you download them, make sure to turn on "offline maps" in the options. Then set your phone to airplane mode, disconnecting it from the outside world, and see if the maps show up. They should, if the download went through correctly. Maybe the correct basemap wasn't selected before downloading? Or maybe it was a bad download, I can't say for sure, I've ever seen that happen on mine. wish I knew more about that to help you. a lot of times, if I know I'm going to be in a spotty coverage area, or on my maps a lot, I turn it to airplane mode because it saves the battery life instead of constantly searching for cell signal. that helps you keep it running all day, as opposed to needing a charge often

after you download them, make sure to turn on "offline maps" in the options. Then set your phone to airplane mode, disconnecting it from the outside world, and see if the maps show up. They should, if the download went through correctly. Maybe the correct basemap wasn't selected before downloading? Or maybe it was a bad download, I can't say for sure, I've ever seen that happen on mine. wish I knew more about that to help you. a lot of times, if I know I'm going to be in a spotty coverage area, or on my maps a lot, I turn it to airplane mode because it saves the battery life instead of constantly searching for cell signal. that helps you keep it running all day, as opposed to needing a charge often

I never tried it in airplane mode. If I decide to purchase it again I will try that.

So , I have an update . I bought a refurbished Garmin Nuvi auto gps for $89 online . Mounted on dash inserted my onxhunt chip and it works perfect . Went to montana for a quick scouting trip last week and tried it out lots works perfect . Just wanted to let people know in case someone else has same idea

So for you guys in the know about onx phone app how much can you save in high def for off line use? I would like to save the hole state.

So for you guys in the know about onx phone app how much can you save in high def for off line use? I would like to save the hole state.

The latest update they pushed out a few weeks ago improved the app a ton. depending on how much detail you need you can either do it in 5 miles, 10 miles, or 150 mile chunks. No more selecting a bunch of little squares 10 at a time. Once you have a map downloaded and you need to use it without a cell connection you just tap "go offline" and it pulls it up. As far as I'm aware you can download as many areas as you want until you run out of storage space on your phone.

I just used the phone version all weekend in your hunt area. Worked great.

Garmins are a pia. but the most reliable.

I agree with Brendan. If going into a place I may die I take the Garmin but other then that its the iphone

I've been playing with the new version of the app all day. It's the bee's knees! I'll be taking my Garmin and chip as a back up but, the new version of the app sealed the deal for me.

So , I have an update . I bought a refurbished Garmin Nuvi auto gps for $89 online . Mounted on dash inserted my onxhunt chip and it works perfect . Went to montana for a quick scouting trip last week and tried it out lots works perfect . Just wanted to let people know in case someone else has same idea
Do you remember which nuvi you had or have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back