Onxhunt chip question

8andcounting

I have the chip and a handheld , love it but I want something bigger to mount on my dash while driving through Blm/private . What works ? What are my options ? Will a Garmin Nuvi work ?

ok , anyone else have experience using a onx chip in a automotive gps like the nuvi or any other garmin dash mount?

If you want a larger screen look at the Garmin Montana. It can be dash mounted and carried in the hills; best of both worlds.

Cuz I already have a 3" handheld and I want a 6" for pickup and I can get a 6" nuvi for 119

8, I see you like the OnX. I just bought a handheld (rino 650) and the salesman was trying to sell me the garmin version of the OnX chip. Any thoughts on that?

I have OnX maps on my handheld, but in my truck download the free Western Land Ownership map from GPSFileDepot.com onto my big Garmin. It does not have the names of the landowners, but is color coded for ownership (BLM, private, state, etc). That's all I need when driving. If I need more specifics I can always take out the handheld and look.

Buy the app for your phone or tablet. I have the chip and the app on my phone. Bigger screen on the phone than my GPS.

And no coverage where I hunt so that's useless . I have it on my iPhone 7 and love it but no coverage where I hunt . Plus I already have a newer Garmin 3" screen with the onxhunt chip but I want something bigger mounted on my dash and I already have the chips so again back to my question that still hasn't been answered ... will a Garmin automotive gps like a Nuvi , take the onxmap chip?

But I think I'll try it the 6" Nuvi is only $99 so worst case scenario I'll be stuck with it and use it for other navigation that it's made for

Use a phone for a phone and a GPS for a GPS. Just an idea.

I'm in the other camp - the phone blows away my garmin gps for functionality in the field - even out of range of cell towers. Use a Garmin watch as a backup, but the topo map and satellite views in the field are much higher quality. My Garmin 650 didn't get used at all last year.

I have to agree 100% with Brendan. I've saved the maps for hunts in Colorado and Kentucky where cellular connection was non-existent. It worked amazingly well. I don't understand the "use a GPS for a GPS and a phone for a phone". Who wouldn't want one less piece of equipment to charge every day? Or one less thing to pack around all day? Or a bigger screen? Or a touchscreen? I could go on and on. It's a comfort thing with most people probably. They already know how to run their GPS, but figuring out the app takes some time I guess. To say it "works like crap", I can't agree with. (in full open honesty, I pay for OnXmaps, and I don't work there, they just saved my arse many times)

I'm in the other camp - the phone blows away my garmin gps for functionality in the field - even out of range of cell towers. Use a Garmin watch as a backup, but the topo map and satellite views in the field are much higher quality. My Garmin 650 didn't get used at all last year.

But I think I'll try it the 6" Nuvi is only $99 so worst case scenario I'll be stuck with it and use it for other navigation that it's made for

I have a Nuvi. Not sure what model but if I remember I will stick the chip in it tonight and see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back