OnX maps cell phone vs GPS

I have both the OnX app and chip in my gps. I like the phone option because when I returned home the app uploads way points and data so it can be viewed on all other app devices such as the online and iPad. I'm sold on the app.

I am enjoying the app on my new Samsung S8+. Since my phone is waterproof, has ample memory, has good battery life, and I can charge it every night I'm comfortable just using it. That said I still carry the gps as backup since there have been a few bad experiences with the app posted on here.

I owned a GPS for about two years. It was not a cheap instrument. What a terrible user experience?! So slow, chewed through batteries, terribly inaccurate, took forever to find satellites, clunky buttons.

My Galaxy S5 with OnX is so easy to use. For multiday backpack trips, I am either more judicious in my use to save battery, or I can have a battery bank waiting in the tent if I need to be constantly using the app, which is rare. The only thing missing is import/export.

I used onx exclusively on my 11 days in the back country and couldn't be more pleased. Stayed in Airplane mode the whole time on my S8+. Battery life was great, after about 3 days I left my gps in camp (once I felt sure the phone would do what I needed). Best $30 I spent for the whole trip. I carried an anker battery pack every day but never used it, and had another power bank at camp I used nightly to charge phones, and go pro. I had a solar panel that I charged the bank with.

I have both and I will say I never turned on my GPS this year. The display quality is just so much better on the phone and as stated above the waypoints go back and forth between my laptop/online maps and my phone with seemlessly.

The only two drawbacks using the phone are:

1. Battery life. If you're away from power you have to think about that. Solar or some type of flash charger. I personally use solar and keeping my phone in airplane mode uses almost no battery in a day.
2. Pre-Downloading maps. Really not a big deal unless you are really moving around a lot.

I used onx exclusively on my 11 days in the back country and couldn't be more pleased. Stayed in Airplane mode the whole time on my S8+. Battery life was great, after about 3 days I left my gps in camp (once I felt sure the phone would do what I needed). Best $30 I spent for the whole trip. I carried an anker battery pack every day but never used it, and had another power bank at camp I used nightly to charge phones, and go pro. I had a solar panel that I charged the bank with.

Great thanks for the info. Any luck on your hunt ?

Great thanks for the info. Any luck on your hunt ?
Had lot's of luck, some good some bad... lol. we had several good encounters and one great one. I missed a herd bull up close on day 4. Misjudged my yardage, he was in front of the tree I had ranged at 35 and I judged him for 40..... he was standing at 27 and I shot over him. it all happens fast.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back