Wrightwood
hunter kills
record bear

By JIM MATTHEWS
Outdoor News Service
When you read about hunting for trophy black bears, you never read about
the southern half of California. The magazines have stories about exotic
locations in Canada and Alaska. There are occasional pieces on the Midwest
or even the odd piece about bear hunting somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
But never about California.
Veteran bear hunters know better. The foothills of the southern Sierra
Nevada and the transverse mountains ranges of Southern California have
always grown some of the biggest bodied bears in the world. Taxidermists
here often have to use modified brown bear forms when they do life-size
mounts of bears from this region. California is well represented in the
Boone & Crockett Record Book's black bear listing.
That point was demonstrated again this winter, when B.J. Patterson of
Wrightwood was hunting in the Sequoia National Forest with long-time friend
and hunting buddy Harvey Stephens of Tehachapi.
The pair has seen four small bears in their first day of hunting with
Stephens' six Walker hounds, but while they were sitting on a road watching
two coyotes, they spotted a big bear beyond the coyotes and across a canyon.
The pair sprang into action immediately, leashing two dogs, and literally
running them across the canyon and putting them on the fresh track of the
big bear.
The pair ran back to the truck and tried to drive closer to the chase
and put the other four dogs on the ground so they could join the chase.
"We did a lot of running that day," said Patterson.
The dogs chased the big bear three hours, and he kept moving farther and
farther away from the roads, while the two hunters followed through the
rugged terrain, listening to the chorus of dogs. Three hours and six miles
later the big boar "bayed up on a hillside in a sage thicket," said
Patterson.
"He was a bigger, older bear, and he passed up a bunch of trees and
bayed up," said Patterson.
A single slug sent into the neck of the bear from Patterson's .30-30
Marlin rifle ended the hunt. The 400-pound class bear was seven-foot,
one-inch long from tip of nose to the top of its tail, and the boar had a
huge head that would later green score 21 1/8th points on the Boone and
Crockett scoring system. The minimum score for a bear to make the record
book is 20 4/8s. The score is base on the length and width of the bear's
cleaned and dried skull.
The big old cinnamon-colored boar also had three white diamonds on this
hide from the chest onto the belly, and Patterson is going to have the bruin
made into a life-size mount so he can show off those diamond blazes and the
bear's size.
Patterson's 400-pound, record book bear in big, but certainly not
uncommon for this region. There are bears in this weight-class taken each
hunting season. But in my files there are stories about at least four other
bears that have topped the 600-pound mark and two that have been right
around 700 pounds.
There is no place in the country that has bears as big.
No place.

(Now he IS talking about black bears, of course.)

Cali... I have never been a bear hunter but I would have to agree.While deer hunting in the Northern part of the state even in the coastal range I have seen some big bears and bear doo doo piles that looked like they were emptied out of a grass catcher from driveable lawn mower! Hmmmm big piles = BIG BEARS!! IMO.:eek:

It makes sense, as the now-extinct California Grizzly bear was just about as big as as the Kodiaks and coastal grizzlies up north. I'm sure the "easy-living" climate and food supply helps them grow large.

well hes wrong, pennsylvania and north carolina produce bigger bodied bears every yr then Cali....cali does have some good sized bears though and its no secret.

California is not alone for big bodied bears , I know w3ashington has some monster bears as do several East coast states , Canada also has monster bears .

Yup....

There are some big bears in the Golden state....

bear13.jpg

bear14.jpg

...and some little ones to ;) (Sorry about the red tongue syndrome...I didn't try to hard with the camera in those days....)

bear9.jpg

While it was a good story, the author must not get out of California much. North Carolina, Penn, Southeast Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba all have equal sized if not bigger bears on record. I have a photo of a bear killed in SK just a few years ago that had an official spring weight of 739 lbs. That bear would've likely been over 1000 lbs. by fall. I'm not slighting CA, they have big bears, but they don't have the monopoly on it. That author needs to get out more.

Gotta agree with Troy...though I've seen the occassional hog out here now and then I don't think we get the sheer volume of heavyweights as in the areas he has mentioned. We do have good numbers of average bears though and the season always seems to shut down by quota each year before the hunt dates actually run out :)

I seen a listing a while back of PA. bear kills and if your talking sheer weight I couldn't believe tha amount of 800+ bears that were killed season after season. Manitoba and SK. is the only place I know that can compete with PA for weight.

Don't forget the midwest people. Minnesota has many, many 400+ pound bears every year. The biggest I have heard of from MN was around 800 pounds and was taken with a pistol around 50 miles from where I live. I would have to guess most that are taken average around 200# though.

Well, I'm glad to hear there are so many places that has good, big bears these days. I only wished the pursuit seasons ran longer, like all spring, summer and fall cause it's hard for me to get enough of it.

I live in Utah, the beehive state, where the bear population is relatively low compared to many other bear states. However, we do have a few big bears primarily because of the limited-entry harvest season. Back in 2004, I killed the new world record muzzleloader black bear. He was 28 years old and squared nearly eight feet, with a skull that measured 21 8/16" Boone & Crockett points. The Fourth Edition Records Book should be out anytime and it is suppose to have a 800+ word story and picture I wrote of that bear. I also wrote an article for American Hutner Magazine (NRA) back in the spring off 2001 about the sport of running dogs on bear--that bear was in the article. You can see that article on my web page at http://www.ingramwildlife.com I also had a bear article in December's Full Cry (2004) about three dead boars, and he was one of them.

Well guys, spring isn't far away and I'm getting all pumped up looking at your pictures and hearing all this bear talk. Good luck to you all this year and don't forget to post pictures.

Best Regards,
Ike

Just a few years ago, my brother was trapping bears in the foothills above Los Angeles suburbs, radio collaring and then tracking them for his Master's thesis. They would come down and hit the avocado trees, trash cans and eat any dog food that people left out. He was amazed when he saw how many bears there were and how freely they wandered through neighborhoods like Arcadia, Glendora, etc. in the wee hours of the night. He was also amazed at how big and fat those bears were! Since they do not hibernate in So Cal, they also do not lose that weight as much in the winter.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back