Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

One or two person tent?

Oneye

I was just wondering what 1-2 person light tents everyone recommends? I am just looking for a light tent with a little room. I'm not exactly looking for a backpacking tent, just one that won't take long to set up or be much trouble to carry. I've been thinking about the KUIU one or two person, but haven't been convinced. I'm also trying to stay under $400. Thanks for anyone who helps.

I have a Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 person. It is quick to set up alone. It is just under 7 pounds and has a vestituble. It keeps the heat in very well. I picked mine up on sale for right at $100. It has room inther for gear and such when your going solo.

I have a Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 person. It is quick to set up alone. It is just under 7 pounds and has a vestituble. It keeps the heat in very well. I picked mine up on sale for right at $100. It has room inther for gear and such when your going solo.

Thanks, how is it for condensation?

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL, Easton Kilo, MSR Elixir 2 would all be in that $250- $300 range and are solid tents. I would recommend a 2 person or even 3 depending on the layout. Often times there isn't much difference in weight going from 2 to 3 person. I like to have space for gear. The majority of one man tents have very little extra room for a pack or weapon to get out of the elements.

I had a little condensation one time. Condensation was on the tent material not on gear if I remember correctly. I didn't have a Mr. Buddy heater at that time either.
Thanks, how is it for condensation?

Condensation is typically only a problem for single wall tents which you probably don't need. Having used both, I prefer a 2-3 person tent. Single person tents are fine in fair weather. But then again, so is a bivy sack. A 2-3 person tent allows you a lot more comfort and space. You can sit and eat and read. I also prefer non-ultralight tents. I had a very lightweight Fly Creek UL1 and it got destroyed in the winds.

For my style of hunting, in the backcountry for multiple days with no resupply and no horses, lightweight gear is essential. But here's my take: you don't need a tent until you need a tent. What I mean is that in fair weather, you don't need a tent. But in a bad storm, you may be stuck in a tent for hours or even a few days. In that situation, you don't want to be couped up in a tiny fragile tent. So you'll be glad to have a sturdy 2-3 person 5lbs tent.

I like Big Agnes because they are large enough to sit up comfortably and sprawl out. I just got a Tumble 2 but haven't tested it. Looks pretty nice.

I don't think they make it anymore but I have a REI Passage 2 tent that I love. Wife and I endured a deluge of rain, like 4 inches overnight bad, a few years back in Smoky Mtns National Park and stayed bone dry. Of course some of that was probably due to the well drained tent pad. Its simple, two poles, Fairly light. You also have the option of using the fly and optional footprint as an ultralight shelter. Roomy enough for a full size air matress we use on car camping trips. Two doors, two small vestibules. Enough room inside for a pack at your feet (I'm 5'11"). I've had it for probably 5 years now and it's held up well, granted I don't abuse it.

Last edited:
BA Fly Creek UL2 is too light in my opinion and often found for sale. The BA Copper Spur UL2 is the better option for me and will be about $100 off at REI's big annual sale.

Last edited:
BA Fly Creek UL2 is too light in my opinion and often found for sale. The BA Copper Spur UL2 is the better option for me and will be about $100 off at REI's big annual sale.

I have a discount code for KUIU so the Spur UL2 and the KUIU tent turn out the exact same price which of those two are better? Thanks for everyone's input.

If you have a chance to get weathered in or need to pull some gear in out of the rain...buy 2 man for 1 person, 3 for 2, etc. I also have a covered area just beyond the sleeping portion but has not floor so of limited use if wet out or snow is blowing.

Never been around a KUIU, partner has the UL2, I have the UL3. If I ever buy another tent it'll be the UL2.

Never been around a KUIU, partner has the UL2, I have the UL3. If I ever buy another tent it'll be the UL2. "Best" can only be determined by you.

I have a Kelty Gunnison 2.0 that has kept me dry & warm with my gear for 10 yrs. More leg room than most. Plenty of room for 2.
Have had 2' of snow & gone thru 6 days of heavy NM monsoon & stayed dry.

If you're choosing between the Kuiu and the BA Cooper Spur, BA Cooper Spur all the way. A very solid tent, lightweight and good room.
I also would stress a 2p tent is a minimum unless you like being in a coffin. I have a 2, 3 and 4p tents from REI and I like them all. I take the 2 when I"m going solo or with the wife if we are being weight conscious. I take the 3 if its a 2 person trip and the 4 man is actually pretty stout and is only a base camp setup.
I believe in having a free standing tent if possible, thats why I have all dome sizes and I like the BA Copper Spur.

If you have an REI near you, go check it out. They will let you assemble any tent in the store. Try it out, lie down, whatever you need to do to compare. They also have a no questions asked warranty. Can't beat that.

Back