Caribou Gear

One last goose? Bitter sweet.

I went through the same thing with my Great Dane. I never got to take him on one last rabbit hunt because his hips gave out too quickly. I was stressing about when to put him down because his personality and love was still there, but he ended up passing in his sleep. He was an amazing dog, best friend, travelling companion and hunting buddy there was. I got 10 1/2 amazing years with him, which was way over what he was supposed to live according to the vet.

Thats really old for a dane, isn't the average only like 7 years?

We went through the exact same scenario with our yellow Lab a few years ago. One of the toughest things I've had to do. They outlive their hips. My heart goes out to you and your family. How cool to have him make that retrieve.

My lab is getting ready for her fourth kemo treatment, I just had her our retrieving the bumper. I told the vet I seems like she's fine. Only 7 image.jpg I hope this wasn't her last hunt!

Dang I wish I hadn't read this post, now I've got something in my eye.

Fantastic memories for the whole family. Knowing that a family member is soon to be missing sure is rough.

Awesome that you were able to get out one last time. What a great memory that will be.

Good for your guys. Thanks for sharing. Man its tough to let them go, but as you know you have to do whats best for them - not be selfish. Been through several Labs - no other option in my book, and as saying goodbye to each one when the times comes does not get any easier, as long as I can will always get another. I tell myself not to dwell on the sadness of the departure, but on all happiness and joy they brought to to and your family. Best to you and Zeppelin.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back