Yeti GOBOX Collection

??? on drawing a Montana Goat Tag.

Dead Head

Thinking about sending in for a Montana 313 or 314 goat tag. As a nonresident am I 5-10 Years out or 10-20 years or maybe never. I'm still somewhat young and wanna start applying. Read the regulations checked all the draw stats just wanting too hear from some of you that have more experience. Looks like 10 years on the draw stats but I might be reading that wrong. Thanks again for everything in advance.

You could draw the first year you put in, or never. Go for it, build points and maybe it will happen.

Each bonus point earned after an unsuccessful drawing puts your name in the hat an extra time and then all the points are squared. You have a chance to draw your first time but it gets better with each successive drawing.

Montana is a straight lottery for both residents and non residents. It took my dad 37 years to Win the Goat lottery as a resident. I haven't hit in the past 16 years. I sincerely wish you the best of luck applying as a non resident, but there are no guarantees in MT.

There are easier units to draw than the ones you mentioned, I have seen guys draw good tags with 4 or 5 points. They are good if you are willing to hunt backcountry.

In unit 313 last year there were 49 nonresidents that applied with 10 or more points. 3 of them drew.

There were 287 nonresident applicants with 5 or less points. 5 of them drew, one lucky dude drew with 0 points.

Nothing is a guarantee except that you have no chance of drawing a tag if you don't apply.

In unit 313 last year there were 49 nonresidents that applied with 10 or more points. 3 of them drew.

There were 287 nonresident applicants with 5 or less points. 5 of them drew, one lucky dude drew with 0 points.

Nothing is a guarantee except that you have no chance of drawing a tag if you don't apply.

True stuff. But people win the lottery also.

Best advice I have is to apply in Idaho. There's actually a chance, and likely far better hunting that the unit mentioned above that gives out 85 permits a year.

True stuff. But people win the lottery also.

Best advice I have is to apply in Idaho. There's actually a chance, and likely far better hunting that the unit mentioned above that gives out 85 permits a year.

Wow, the odds do really stink for Montana.

For unit 313 there were 426 nonresidents who applied for essentially 8 tags.

If you do all the squaring you end up with 144 chances in the draw if you have 12 points right? If I'm doing the math correctly there were 12,474 chances in the draw for 2013 so if you had 12 points you had right at a 1.15% chance to draw a tag.

With 0 points that dude really did hit he lottery, my computer formatted the odds for 0 points at something to the -05 power.

I was looking at my odds with max points for sheep a few weeks ago...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 813
My hopes are slowly slipping away with all the information. I'll pry still throw in a chance or two but..... Is there another state that might be worth looking into with slightly better odds.

actually some very good moose odds for some areas if I'm looking at it right

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back