Olympic steelhead

mdunc8

A buddy and I are planning a four day fishing trip to the OP in late March to chase steelhead. I've been out there camping for a night or two but that's about it. While I do quite a bit of fishing around Montana, I'm new to the whole world of steelhead. Would any of the fishing hipsters be willing to share some knowledge (e.g., patterns) to help minimize the chance that I get skunked after driving 15 hours to fish. Some camping and hiking spots on the OP would be much appreciated too.

Thank ya,
Mike

I was stationed in Tacoma for 4 years. This is the site that I frequented quite a bit. http://www.gamefishin.com/ use the report tab on the right and then on the left click Washington and it will narrow it down by County. You'll have to do more research than just the reports you'll read. But it's Washington. You'll have plenty of lips to rip in the rivers of the peninsula. I'll be hitting the rivers up here in Northern California in January with a fly rod. Good Luck

Are you bringing a drift boat, raft or bank fishing? If you have a boat how much experience do you have on the sticks? If your bank fishing some of the smaller rivers may lead to better fishing, such as the Lyre or Salmon. A little bit more friendly rivers to the novice boater would be the Boagachiel, Wynoochee or the Humptulips. More experienced oarsmen may lean toward the Hoh, Soleduck, Calawah, Queets or upper Quinault. March is the best time of the year to catch big native fish. If you are looking for a place to stay either Amanda Park or Forks are your best bet, otherwise you will have to drive from Aberdeen or Port Angeles.
As far as gear for Natives. A pink worm below a float thrown or drifted under a wood pile or log jam will work well. Big Steelhead like the cover of wood in walking speed water that is deep enough so they can't be seen.
Riverfisher spoons in Mongerel work well.
Let me know if you have questions, I would be happy to help if I can.
Check the regs to see what is open in March.

That late in the season I think you are looking at Native fish in the upper parts of the Hoh, Queets, Quinalt and maybe the Solduc. The native fish are few and far between any more but a great experience when you do catch one--they'll tear you up! There is a free DNR campground on the upper Hoh before the park that is a nice camping spot. There are some other larger fee camping areas such as Kalalock and another north of the Queets river bridge right on 101. Good luck--stay dry! The spring salmon should be returning in the Columbia by then also but you'll need a boat / guide for that fishery.

Patterns don't matter...steelhead bite anything. Your biggest job will be getting the fly in front of one of them.

Fly fishing? Bait fishing? Hardware? Boat? Lot's of variables. Last I checked they don't bit anything so IMO you need the right pattern and to get it in front of them and I've chased some Steelhead..

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back