Offset Helical Blazers ?

Trigger50

Does having a 3% offset right helical, tighten groups on Blazer vanes or not, vs straight vanes ? Before I spend $150 plus on new arrows, I want to get it right. I'm planning a 2015 archery elk hunt & these arrows will be for that hunt. But of course I will use them for whitetails also etc.. Thanks for the advice ? Its kinda difficult to test vanes before u spend a lot of money on arrows.

I fletch my own arrows using a Arizona EZ fletch. They make a model designed for 2" blazer vanes or another for the longer vanes and feathers. It does a real good job and is very easy to use. All you need is Vanes, Super Glue and some arrows. You don't even need new arrows, just strip the old flethings off and replace with the ones you want.

Offsets and Helicals add rifling for better aerodynamics and stability so the answer to your question is yes. A strong twist on a short vane can become problomatic as they are more prone to "pop" lose so you have to really clean both shaft and vane base and use a quality adhesive, I prefer gels as they don't get as brittle as a quick glue. Put an extra bead of adhesive on the front of the vane to help tack it down.

Just to clarify, offset and helical are not the same thing. Not sure if you knew that. Offset is 2 or 3 degrees turned, but the vane is in a straight line (the line just happens to be 2 or 3 degrees different from the shaft). Helical is also offset, but the vane has a twist in it. If you look at the vane as it attaches to the shaft, the vane looks curved. Sorry if you knew all of that.

I've been using the Arizona EZ Fletch with 2" Blazers and right hand offset. I use Fletch Tight glue. I've had problems with the EZ Fletch though. Maybe mine is defective, but on the SAME arrow, one vane will have a definite offset, one "kind of" an offset, and the other may be straight. I've also had it where on of the vanes was pointed THE OTHER WAY. And yes, I know how to use the damned tool.

I've also had bad luck with the glue not holding very well, so an occasional vane will start to peel off after not too many shots.

I've recently tried the NAP Quickfletch also. They say to dunk in boiling water, but I just use a heat gun or hair dryer. It is, after all, just heat-shrink tubing. You just have to shrink it evenly and not get it too hot so it doesn't split or tear. Great luck with the Quickfletch. They're pricey though. Fleet Farm sells them for $17 or so for 6 of them.

Emrah

A helical will stabilize the arrow faster as it exits the rest, kind of like a rifling on a barrel. Is a helical better? With fixed blade broadheads, yes, otherwise, its users discretion. A helical creates a drag on the arrow(a greater drag than the broadhead does) thus steering the arrow from the rear end, like it should be. A helical will slow your arrow flight, but for fixed blade broadhead use, there is no better 'tuning secret' that I know of except spin testing, but that goes without saying.

I use AAE Max Hunters, with a right helical jig (Bohning) and as much offset as I can put on the vane and get good contact.

As stated, this will make your arrow spin faster and sooner, which will reduce the amount of planing from the broadhead because of form error, wind, etc.

Understand that with the shorter vanes, it won't look like you have much offset when in reality you may have quite a lot. With 4" vanes I usually make them a full helical whereas the shorter 2" vanes have the same amount of offset but it's harder to see because of the shorter length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back