Yeti GOBOX Collection

NV results are in. I drew 114

Jdubrr

I had 0 points and I ended up with my 3rd choice with a 13% chance archery Mule deer! I guess now the hard work starts - eScouting, google earth and I am planning to drive out to the unit a few times from CA (approx 8 hr drive). I already found a burn in the unit but looks like it might be hard to get to- super steep. Pretty sure I will hav eto get up high as the temps will be high and the bucks will be in their summer patterns. Has anyone hunted this unit? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

The deer are pretty sparse in the entire unit. Archery in August can be tough in 114 because of the monsoons. It seems as if the monsoons like hang up on mt moriah. The burn is from 2014 and probably has created a fair bit of vegetation that deer and elk use. Are one of your scouting trips, I'd try to hike up Hendry's Creek and go to the Table. From there you can hit several drainages pretty easily. The mountain can be unforgiving so be ready for long days and rugged country.

The deer are pretty sparse in the entire unit. Archery in August can be tough in 114 because of the monsoons. It seems as if the monsoons like hang up on mt moriah. The burn is from 2014 and probably has created a fair bit of vegetation that deer and elk use. Are one of your scouting trips, I'd try to hike up Hendry's Creek and go to the Table. From there you can hit several drainages pretty easily. The mountain can be unforgiving so be ready for long days and rugged country.

Thanks for the tip! I will check out that area when I go out there

From my experience which is limited find water it's very sparse in that range compared to elko where water is in all most every canyon.

From my experience which is limited find water it's very sparse in that range compared to elko where water is in all most every canyon.

OnX shows where the guzzlers are and they all look to be down low. I do plan on checking for these when I make the trip. Thanks

Crap. I forgot to apply for Nevada. Is there a later time period where I can just apply for points?

Congrats! This is a solid unit and can produce. If you get stuck or need some pointers feel free to reach out.

Congrats! This is a solid unit and can produce. If you get stuck or need some pointers feel free to reach out.

I appreciate the offer! I went out to the unit 2 weeks ago, found springs and creeks with water. I spoke to the biologist when I got back and feel like I have a solid plan. Fingers crossed!

Don't know if you know or not but NDOW prints and sells a map book that locates every guzzler known to exist here.

I'm trying to refine my gear that I'll be taking into the high country for this hunt and debating on leaving my 15x56 Meopta's at home to save on weight and just using my Vortex Viper 10x42 which I will have in a bino harness anyways. I will be bringing a tripod. I've been using the measuring tool on google earth and it looks like the majority of the glassing distances will be approx 2-3 miles, of course there are some areas that I can glass 4-5. Will the 10's be enough to find deer in the trees in the shade? I'm not holding out for the biggest buck that I can find I just want to make sure that 1) it is a buck and not a doe, 2) it's bigger than a forkie. Thoughts?

Back