Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

NV Deer - Redemption

Just back this evening. Will provide details tomorrow. Have to remove inches if dust and dirt from everything I own. And, take Mrs. Fin for a well deserved DQ.

Hey NVLongbow, Make sure old Mulehead drinks plenty of H2o.
Good luck Big Fin.

Left camp at sunset last evening. Finally got the strength for typing something. Not sure how much longer I can hang with Big Fin and these stud camera men he keeps recruiting.

We have nicknamed cameraman Brad with the title "Lee Majors". If there ever was a 6 million dollar man; it is him. Hope you get to see photos. He looks like Lee and is "Bigger, Faster, Stronger". This guy is less than half my age but more than double anything I ever came across. Like Fin, I am guessing he wears a double X athletic supporter.

Spook: H2O was a prized commodity; as was ice cream. Had both in the refer of my pop up truck camper. Wishing we would have had more time to enjoy them.

Headed to bed,
Scott

So, does that mean a tag was cut?

I cut the tag off my new pairs of Kenetrek socks. That count? ;)

Six days of hunting, two days without a buck sighting or a stalk. Six stalks in the last three and a half days. NVLongbow got to watch most of them all. A ton of fun and as always, when hunting mule deer in the arid peaks of Nevada, a lot of work and a lot of elevation gain.

I was catching up on other threads and there was some talk about domestic sheep supposedly helping the range conditions, if done properly. Well, I have never been to the moon, but my best impression of what lunar landscape probably looks like is where those sheep had grazed hard and heavy, causing even veterans of this well known big buck area to wonder aloud where the bucks had went in this first year that they had ever seen sheep on this mountain.

Took two days to find a new location; a sheep-free zone that was a year-old burn and loaded with deer. If ever there was proof that fire, followed by vigorous native plant re-seeding efforts, was a friend of wildlife and hunters, it was sure true on this hunt.

Full story to follow tomorrow afternoon. But, for those who don't want to be bored, you can go read other threads and you will not miss out on a bunch of "grip and grin" photos.

Looking for the positives,...at least everyone is safely back home. Where to next?

First two days for for Logan and I

Thought I would get a jump on the story from this end.

Left Carson City, NV with my teen aged son (Logan) last Tuesday, with the intent of scouting a day before Randy and cameraman Brad showed up.

Logan has his learner’s permit and I figured it would be good to give him experience driving the one ton crew cab truck, loaded with a pop-up/pickup camper, at some higher speeds on interstate 80. It’s a 6 speed manual and once he got her through the gears and up to cruising altitude, we were looking good.

That was until we hit the construction zone outside of Winnemucca. This one ton is a dually that I lifted and converted to single wheel, bit it is still a full 8’ wide. I was real proud of how this young man navigated the narrow miles of “Cone City” construction, but he was not enjoying it much with an 18 wheeler on his tail. The little guy was really sweating, but boy did he sleep good once we hit camp north of Elko around sunset.

Our pre-decided camp spot that Fin had picked out via Google Earth, was located in a shady aspen patch ¾ the way a mountain where we hoped to find big bucks. Randy’s route from the north through Jarbidge, NV was around 2 hours of gravel and then 35 more minutes to go 4 miles up a nasty 4-wheel goat path. Ours was only 45 minutes of gravel before hitting the goat path but Logan and I spent a little more time on the goat path due to having a camper on the back.

The boy and I glassed hard all next morning. We found only a small hand full of deer but a couple hundred head of domestic sheep being grazed on the mountain.

After unloading the camper late morning, afternoon was spent trying to find ground that had not been grazed to the bone. Got back to camp an hour after sunset. Randy and Brad had arrived a little bit prior and were setting up their digs.

Attachments

• Logan 2013 NV Deer Hunt.jpg
    Logan 2013 NV Deer Hunt.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Been crazy busy since getting home, so apologize for not adding more to this thread.

Have I told you that Nevada is hot and dusty. I'm talking dust like chalk. Not sure how my truck was still running after filling the air filter with this kind of stuff.

Given it was stacked an inch deep on my bumper, thought I would use it as a "chalk board."

IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG

The final result.
IMG_1483.JPG

Brad, the camera guy, took the air filter out of the truck when we got to Twin Falls. Holy crap. I am sure my mileage doubled after that. He smacked it on the concrete a couple times and when he was done, there was a big pile of chalk powder there.

On the bright side, all you had to do was stomp your foot and the dust would boil up like "Pig Pen" on the Charlie Brown/Snoopy cartoons, and it was so light, it would drift with the wind and give you a really good idea of what way you need to go. Still sneezing gray junk out of my nose.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back