Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NV Cow Elk 072A.

Lakotan Inmutanka

Hello, fellow members. I'm having a great time searching through this forum. What a wonderful place to gather knowledge and poke around.

I am curious if anyone knows about or has experience with Jarbidge Wilderness hunting? I drew a cow tag for wilderness boundary only. The season is open from October 1st-20th.

So far as I've found, through this site, is to head to the east side of the wilderness around Camp Creek to T. Creek. It looks like a hiking adventure with a camp set up camp on the boundary somewhere.

I guess, there is only so much e-scouting one can do before asking around. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You're in the right area. Look at all the access points from Camp Creek to Mary's River. Good luck!

This year will be my 2nd jarbidge wilderness tag. Over the last couple summers i have hiked all the trails going into that wilderness and there is elk allover that place. I was surprised how many guys were willing to go in there for a cow but the hunt is getting popular. Once i got away from the other hunters i had a great time and seen lots of elk. You will enjoy the hunt.

how hard is the cow tag to draw?I'd like to do a Nevada hunt,but I have a better chance of seeing God then drawing a bull tag there

A cow tag is alot easier last year there was tags for the wilderness only in the 2nd draw. This year I believe it filled in first draw but still good draw odds.

how hard is the cow tag to draw?I'd like to do a Nevada hunt,but I have a better chance of seeing God then drawing a bull tag there

I've gotten a cow tag the last two years, unfortunately I wasn't able to hunt last year. I applied again this year and scored, it was my last choice on the app. though. 072A has a 200 cow quota. That and a buddy drew a late 072 late cow tag, and another buddy drew a cow early tag for a different unit. It seems that the all around chances are decent, 30%, but I could be wrong. I am currently just applying for pref. points for a bull and using cow elk hunting to do the scouting for future bull hunting.

Last edited:
This year will be my 2nd jarbidge wilderness tag. Over the last couple summers i have hiked all the trails going into that wilderness and there is elk allover that place. I was surprised how many guys were willing to go in there for a cow but the hunt is getting popular. Once i got away from the other hunters i had a great time and seen lots of elk. You will enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for the information. I feel more confident with all of this feedback. I've never been here before or have scouted yet, and this is helpful. I've hiked into "no mans" land before on other hunts, and would not have dropped a cow that far from a road, it was 8 miles out from the vehicle and 10k ft. up from 8k ft in altitude. The further out I get the more I consider the pack out.

I've always liked getting away from other hunters, it seems to be my rule of thumb. Other hunters can be beneficial though and I often try to use hunt pressure to my advantage when at all possible.

Last edited:
Jarbidge is incredible. Camp Creek, T Creek, Sun Creek. There is a pretty nice trail that goes up from just past the old Wildcat Guard Station that I don't think gets used much. Scouting before season is a MUST. It's a huge country and not bunch of ways in. The one word that describes it best is steep. I think there are 9 peaks over 10,000 ft in the roughly 110K acre wilderness area. You will have an amazing hunt.

Jarbidge is incredible. Camp Creek, T Creek, Sun Creek. There is a pretty nice trail that goes up from just past the old Wildcat Guard Station that I don't think gets used much. Scouting before season is a MUST. It's a huge country and not bunch of ways in. The one word that describes it best is steep. I think there are 9 peaks over 10,000 ft in the roughly 110K acre wilderness area. You will have an amazing hunt.

Thanks for the informative reply, I appreciate it.

Typically, most years I don't get a chance to scout. I usually grunt it out, until I find elk or deer. This year may be different, as I still have a little time before the season opens. This weekend is the only time I can squeeze in. My only other option is to roll up a few days before season opening day, scout, then hunt. My only worry is using resources driving from Reno, finding elk, then having the herd get bumped or move. But I guess that's the dice ya' roll.

How much time before opening day, should one scout? Are there resources to call in that area to help locate the herds, possibly Cottonwood Guest Ranch or something?

I've found 3 access points that interest me, and am thinking one of those would make a good base camp. It would be nice to hike around to pin down the basic resources elk need, on the other hand. It would make me feel much more confident in the area, since I've never been there before.

Last edited:
The folks at Cottonwood are very nice. I hung a deer in their cooler one year while continuing to hunt cows. Also nice showers and worth every cent after a few days hunting. But I doubt they will give you any info as they outfit that area also. The biologist in Elko is very helpful, she gave me some good suggestions when I called the 1st scouting I took to the area. Good luck!

I have a cow tag too sept 26-Oct 4. Gonna head up there and have a walkabout and see what I can find. Never been there but I'll let you know my plan. PM me for details.

The folks at Cottonwood are very nice. I hung a deer in their cooler one year while continuing to hunt cows. Also nice showers and worth every cent after a few days hunting. But I doubt they will give you any info as they outfit that area also. The biologist in Elko is very helpful, she gave me some good suggestions when I called the 1st scouting I took to the area. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I would expect the Cottonwood folks not to want to give away information, I realize they do have clients.

I have a cow tag too sept 26-Oct 4. Gonna head up there and have a walkabout and see what I can find. Never been there but I'll let you know my plan. PM me for details.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds good, I will be joined by two other guys. They don't have tags but want to a join for the experience, help out, and meat if I score. After we work Jarbidge, we need to fill a doe tag for the Ruby's, which is usually a quick hunt.

I threw you a PM.

Back