Caribou Gear

Not to be a pain in the rear.

nickdooley987

not wanting to beat the dead horse, but ive been searching the sight for a good thread on broadhead selection and cant find any, can anyone remember any that i could look at? and if not help me out im looking for new broadhead to shoot i want fixed blade but just want some in the field opinions on performance.
thanks

Wished I could give you field performance but I just picked up a pack of VPA non vented 100gr heads. I have heard a lot of very good things about VPA's so I thought I would try them out. There are so many heads out there, I just wanted something I could shoot over and over again without replacing anything. VPA's fit that bill. I will also have some Grim Reapers in the quiver as well. I hunt some metro properties on as small as a 5 acre lot so I need something that can put them down fast before they get onto the neighbors property. It sure would be nice to get permission on a bigger piece of land but I am thankful for what I got!

I've been using Shuttle T's for a few years now. They fly incredibly well with no whistle like some heads have. They are brutal on anything I've hit with them. I'm going to be trying out some Slick Trick Mags here in the near future to see if my buddy can convert me to his heads...lol The only thing about the Shuttle Ts that kinda sucks is that they could be a little sharper out of the box...but a little work and efrfort and they are good as any other out there.

I wouldn't judge all mechanical's based on your experience with Rage. There are a lot of other heads out there that perform very well and even fixed blades can fail.

Montecs!!!!Fly like field points,and are true killers.They can be resharpened after used.They are true cut on contact points as the blades go to the tip.You can't replace the blades on them though
I also heard alot of good things about the shuttle T's

The old school NAP Thunderheads are a good head too. The bloodrunners lose a little kenetic energy to deploy, but if they fail, you're still getting a 1 inch cut.

nick- I haven't used the Bloodrunners so this is my opinion, not experience. I think that the design of the ferrule is going to impede penetration especially if you hit anything harder than soft tissue. IMO there are so many well designed fixed blade heads out there you can find better.

Some of my favorites include NAP HellRazor, G5 Montecs (get the carbon steel version not the stainless), Trophy Takers Shuttle T's and Terminal T's, Magnus Stingers, and Magnus Snuffers SS. Slick Trick Mags are a great head as well.

IMO if it has moving parts that's one more thing that can fail. I'm currently shooting the Hellrazors and I can resharpen them in about 3 minutes if I dull one. I'm a cheapskate and with most broadheads costing over $10 a piece I want to shoot multiple animals with them. I've shot Montecs also for the past several years. Out of 12 total broadheads that I bought, I still have six of the originals. I think all of them have been through at least one animal and others have had hundreds of shots into my broadhead target. I've lost several and broken two or three. One of those was from shooting into rocks and another snapped a ferrule on a glancing shot into an elk scapula.( second shot and the bull was recovered) Most of the others are still in great shape and are either razor sharp or can be within minutes.

If I were shooting mechanicals or replacement blade heads I think I would have gone through about twice that amount in same time. Not to mention the cost of replacement blades instead of resharpening.

i agree ive been doin alot of research and the bloodrunners do lost kinetic energy so count them out.. by the way i had it narrowed down to about 5 then you listed all of those thanks alot @#$ just kidding lol.. im open to any and all suggestions and i think alot of guys are the same way you cant trust what you see or read unless it comes from someone who isnt sponserd that payed there hard earned money for the product

Lots of good choices above. I've had great luck with the original muzzy 3 blades but switched 3 years ago to mechanicals for IA deer. Those 1 3/4" jakhammers are devastating on deer, complete pass throughs on all deer shot with them. Very short recovery trails but that's true with most heads with the right shot placement.

I started hunting a deer mgmt zone a few years ago so the mechanicals were getting a little expense to replace the blades on all the does being shot. I've used the magnus stinger buzzcuts and they are good heads too. Easy to resharpen and tough as nails. They fly great out to 60 yards during practice sessions. I'll be using the stingers if/when I'm able to chase elk around again. Good luck with your decision.

Nick- If you have it narrowed down to those five heads you can't go wrong. I would shoot any of the heads I listed without hesitation.

To narrow it down further for you, decide whether you want to buy replaceable blades or resharpen the solid heads. Don't make the mistake a lot of people make when buying replaceable blade heads and think you only need replacement blades if you bend or nick one. IMO no one should shoot an animal with any head that has been shot into a target before. That means either replacing blades or resharpening. Me, I'm a cheapskate so I resharpen. It takes me a minute or two on my diamond stone and my broadheads are shaving sharp again. On the other hand, I could have bought another pack of broadheads or several packs of replacement blades for what I paid for my sharpener.

Just go buy a pack of something mainstream and shoot them. They either fly striaght for you or they do not. I currtently shoot the muzzy 100s because they fly great on my setup. I tired of using (and trying to resharpen) non-replaceable head blades but the Montec G5 and Snuffer SS both flew great for me.

I like the muzzy in part because:
Replaceable blade where you do not have to remove head from arrow to swap blades target.

Comes with DULL practice blades you swap in/out so you can pratice a lot without eating up your target.

This is an awesome site, but you may do well by doing a search on bowsite. About 1000 threads on broadhead selection/tuning. Same with archerytalk.com No single website 'has it all'.

Lastly, the more I see of slick tricks, I like them. But have not shot them. They are shorter from tip to tail than average and so it seems they might fly really well with a tighter profile to catch air and drift?

G5 montecs are what I shoot. I like a broadhead to cut on impact as I believe it is harder for blood to coagulate from a cleaner cut vs a puncture then the cutting action. I shot two whitetail last year and they only ran 40 yards. I have killed elk with muzzy too. I want to try Slick Trick as several freinds all have said they fly true. Good luck.

I shot the G5 montec last year and they do fly well and kill better but I didn't like them in extreme cold wheather. They just didn't hold up. Looking into the shuttle T orslick tricks as friends shoot them!

I've been die hard and true to my shuttle t's...but picked up a pack of Slick Trick magnums at Bass Pro Shop the other day on the recommendation of a close friend....after cutting myself getting them out of the pack (they are scary sharp out of the package) I shot them and they flew great out to 60 yards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back