Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Northwestern Players Unionize

WBouldin

Just caught the OTL on this story and what a crock of shit this is. Apparently a free education, overly "generous" professors, and the opportunity to play division 1 football isn't sufficient. Always wanting more after you give em more than enough. Now, If only fish were pro-union......

I'm not sure what more the "union" will get these players (maybe health care). My thoughts have always been you get a free education (if on scholarship) in exchange for a playing. When you sign a contract (scholarship to play) you know what you are signing and getting when you sign that paper. Just my thoughts.

By the way ... I sure wish I was athletic enough to have received a sports scholarship.

good luck to all
the dog

Urban Meyer, the head coach of Ohio State gets paid 6 million dollars per season to coach college football. That is the same amount of money as paying 120 teachers 50,000 each to teach in the public school system.......Exact same education fund pays both......That is an absolute joke!!! The system is massively broke and if I was a division 1 player with NFL draft potential I'd be wondering why we don't get a bigger piece of the pie!

Also,,,I have no idea what the answer or solution is in this case. Just that I know it's a BILLION dollar industry and the players and athletes make it all possible!

Several layers to the onion. The players get a CHANCE at a college degree but usually have no effective choice on the major since once the kid signs the dotted line then the coach and staff can change the major etc. And they do. Look up your fave D1 football or basketball program and check out the majors...General Studies and similar non-technical majors of dubious value in the job market.

Athletes should be able to bargain for the right to transfer if the coach leaves for another school or if the college goes on probation. Currently, the college can say no to the athlete. The NCAA (a terrible organization with minimal concern for athletes) has restrictions on transfer options as well.

Athletes should be able to bargain for health care coverage for injuries arising from sports.

Athletes should be able to bargain for beds long enough to comfortably sleep in. For educational tutors beyond what the school typically offers.

Unions have a way of improving a few things for all the other things they muck up. The NCAA and major colleges have created the environment that allowed unions to get a toehold.

Several layers to the onion. The players get a CHANCE at a college degree but usually have no effective choice on the major since once the kid signs the dotted line then the coach and staff can change the major etc. And they do. Look up your fave D1 football or basketball program and check out the majors...General Studies and similar non-technical majors of dubious value in the job market.

Athletes should be able to bargain for the right to transfer if the coach leaves for another school or if the college goes on probation. Currently, the college can say no to the athlete. The NCAA (a terrible organization with minimal concern for athletes) has restrictions on transfer options as well.

Athletes should be able to bargain for health care coverage for injuries arising from sports.

Athletes should be able to bargain for beds long enough to comfortably sleep in. For educational tutors beyond what the school typically offers.

Unions have a way of improving a few things for all the other things they muck up. The NCAA and major colleges have created the environment that allowed unions to get a toehold.

X2!! Absolute hyporcrisy!! I would add: Allow the individual players to have contol of theirown image and any marketing that comes from that ($$).

Urban Meyer, the head coach of Ohio State gets paid 6 million dollars per season to coach college football. That is the same amount of money as paying 120 teachers 50,000 each to teach in the public school system.......Exact same education fund pays both......That is an absolute joke!!! The system is massively broke and if I was a division 1 player with NFL draft potential I'd be wondering why we don't get a bigger piece of the pie!

How much revenue do those 120 teachers bring to their respective schools.

I think players need some sort of reimbursement for their image being used outside of the school.

Pay for play gets pretty dicey especially when you consider paying all college athletes. (revenue and non-revenue generating sports).
I like that intelligent players challenge the NCAA, just like any governing body, the NCAA needs to be consistently challenged.

So, does this mean spook''s razorbacks get first pick in the draft & who sets the new salary cap for 'Bama?

LopeHunter has this one right.

There are many things that should be negotiable for the players, a major one being some sort of reasonable assurance of how injuries are to be covered. In particular, long term issues associated with multiple concussions. Even things as simple as having a doctor on the side-lines to evaluate players FOR a concussion. This isnt about players bargaining for monitary compensation.

I'm glad the NLRB found in favor of allowing college athletes to unionize. These young athletes are not in the position to negotiate anything. They just dont have the ability, nor the experience, to stand up to the NCAA, their coaches, or the Universities. I'd argue that even many of the parents of college athletes dont have the ability to negotiate on behalf of their kids.They need a voice that represents them, and they need a level playing field to negotiate on, unions allow that.

This situation has more questions than I could even count. First of all, I played 4 years of college ball on scholarship, had 3 kids go through college on scholarship, and am also a union member.
Union members pay dues, you don't pay you don't work. I have to pay my dues and work a certain of amount of hours to keep my benefits (insurance).
Quite frankly, neither myself nor my 3 kids could have afforded to pay union dues at the time we were attending college.
Everyone talks about the revenue generating sports - football and basketball. What about all the non revenue generating sports - track, cross country, golf,tennis, swimming, and on and on. - these kids are not going to be non-union (we call them scabs) and others being union.
The main question I have is : What's in it for the union? There isn't a single union in the United States that does things for nothing in the long haul.
Unions have there place and serve a purpose and I just don't see any benefit for a union to get involved with college sports - next thing you know is each team member will require equal playing time.

Anyone want to guess what the first union in the United States was and where it originated?

Cordwainers...Philadelphia...Union of Philadelphia Journeyman Shoemakers, 1806.

Actually I think the Union formed prior to 1806, but the court case against the cordwainers for striking, was heard in 1805-6ish.

I just took a labor history course in Maryland about a year ago...my memory may be failing me.

Last edited:
Cordwainers...Philadelphia...Union of Philadelphia Journeyman Shoemakers, 1806.

Actually I think the Union formed prior to 1806, but the court case against the cordwainers for striking, was heard in 1805-6ish.

I just took a labor history course in Maryland about a year ago...my memory may be failing me.

Not bad. There is some discussion/interpretation as to actual time of some events but overall Buzz paid pretty good attention in his class. When unions first formed it was not uncommon for them to fold after they achieved what they were formed for - I see this as a strong possibility of history repeating itself in regards to college athletics and unionization.

Trying to unionize college sports will be worse than trying to heard chickens - Only D1 schools? What about D2, D3 is non scholship so do you forget about them, NAIA?
Hell - high school football in Texas is bigger than a lot of college football teams from a revenue standpoint - do you try and unionize there?

This has the look of a cluster ____ to me.

This turned into a cute little history lesson. Proud "scab" here. Ever find it funny that the union bosses that work to preserve rights for the "common" man do not live very commonly themselves? Sounds like y'all's interpretation of the NCAA....

The problem is where to draw the line. CFB is not the same as the rest of the college sports. FBS schools like Texas are not the same as FCS schools like Montana, which are not the same as D-3 schools. A 1 size fits all solution is simply not possible IMO.

This turned into a cute little history lesson. Proud "scab" here. Ever find it funny that the union bosses that work to preserve rights for the "common" man do not live very commonly themselves? Sounds like y'all's interpretation of the NCAA....

There is a lot of truth in what you are saying: I'll go one step farther than your/my opinion on the NCAA, how about our politicians in Washington?

Now take some of it and apply it to "any" college sport at any level, throw in the NCAA, different State supported colleges along with private institutions, coaches, alumni, boosters etc. etc. and who is going to provide the money to make this feasible at all. And the big question is: What can a union do better than what is being done now - I can't think of anything. Someone has to provide the funds and it can't be wishful thinking.

So do you feel its right to just allow the Universities/coaches/NCAA to dictate every part of a college althletes life for 4-5 years and not allow them to negotiate any part of it?

Does your employer tell you how much you need to excercise? Do they control your diet? Do they control where you live?

Do you feel its right for the NCAA to clear 500 million a year in profits off the backs of college athletes without assuring them some sort medical care that if they're injured long-term the college doesnt choose to just kick them to the curb?

Should college FB players have a choice in picking their majors? Should scholastics be a priority over their next football game? Should the Universities be making sure their athletes at least graduate from College?

The bottom line is that the NCAA/Universitites/coaches are taking severe advantage of a good portion of their athletes. Theres huge profit it in for those making the decisions and IMO, the basic right to negotiate on your own behalf is not there. These kids diets, excercise, majors, etc. etc. etc. are being forced on them.

I agree with cowboy that this could turn into a big old mess. However, if you dont think that the NCAA/Universities/coaches are taking advantage of the dictatorship they enjoy...well, thats having your head in the sand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back