Non-Res Idaho Mule Deer Hunt

zleonard210

Hi all! A buddy and myself are planning to do a little OTC mule deer hunting in Idaho this year (if we don't draw out). Neither of us have hunted Idaho before. As we don't get out of state opportunities much, we would like to make it worth our wild with a great adventure and possibly the opportunity at a Idaho giant! We have studied units until we went cross eyed. We arent much on fishing, so good rivers aren't a necessity. We would, however, jump at the opportunity to get a wolf or mountain lion though. We aren't afraid to get in the back country at all. Any reccomendations on units? We have looked at 40, 45 and the salmon regions a lot (can't recall the number), however we are all ears to the suggestions of those with Idaho experience. Thanks!

40/45 are two of the most difficult to draw controlled draw mule deer units in the state. There are good deer in most OTC units, winter kill a few years back hit some units harder than others. Get away from the roads and you should be ok.

40/45 are two of the most difficult to draw controlled draw mule deer units in the state. There are good deer in most OTC units, winter kill a few years back hit some units harder than others. Get away from the roads and you should be ok.
Thanks for your input. We don't expect to get drawn on our first go round, so I'm just trying to map out n OTC hunt.

I understand that you want a mule deer hunt but there is another option to keep in mind. The mule deer hunt is a shorter season than the Whitetail only hunt that runs until December. Although you are only allowed to take a White tail deer, you are allowed to hunt the Rut and as a Non-Res you are allowed to use your deer tag to harvest a bear or cougar if the season is open while you you are hunting. Just another option to think about.

Haha wouldn't everyone like to hunt 40 and 45. Feel free to PM re the OTC units you're looking at.

You'll have to decide what you want to find in a unit: more deer, bigger deer, less people. Can't have everything.

Unit 45 doesn't have an OTC rifle hunt, and unit 40 has an OTC rifle hunt, however, it is for two-point deer only. I hunt SE Idaho Units 56 over to 74 and have seen big bucks throughout...however, in the neck of the woods I hunt, sometimes the private/public line determines where the bigguns go!

I understand that you want a mule deer hunt but there is another option to keep in mind. The mule deer hunt is a shorter season than the Whitetail only hunt that runs until December. Although you are only allowed to take a White tail deer, you are allowed to hunt the Rut and as a Non-Res you are allowed to use your deer tag to harvest a bear or cougar if the season is open while you you are hunting. Just another option to think about.

This post from Scarey may be an option you want to consider. This is the route I chose to take our first year deer hunting in Idaho. Went far North into the panhandle, very light hunting pressure, lots of public land, and lots of deer.
Reward...a very nice 4X4 whitetail for my son.

Attachments

• Brents Whitetail 11.4.18.jpg
    Brents Whitetail 11.4.18.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 105
Unit 45 doesn't have an OTC rifle hunt, and unit 40 has an OTC rifle hunt, however, it is for two-point deer only. I hunt SE Idaho Units 56 over to 74 and have seen big bucks throughout...however, in the neck of the woods I hunt, sometimes the private/public line determines where the bigguns go!
Great info! We are open to all areas, I just dont know where to begin to look.

Last edited:
This post from Scarey may be an option you want to consider. This is the route I chose to take our first year deer hunting in Idaho. Went far North into the panhandle, very light hunting pressure, lots of public land, and lots of deer.
Reward...a very nice 4X4 whitetail for my son.
Congrats on the Whitetail. We have magnificent whitetail where we are in OK. Our main reason to go is for the change up to mulies. We even considered elk, but decided to go forward with mule deer.

Congrats on the Whitetail. We have magnificent whitetail where we are in OK. Our main reason to go is for the change up to mulies. We even considered elk, but decided to go forward with mule deer.

We are also pursing Mulies this year, in the central part of the state, we have not pulled the trigger on Elk tags yet, still learning country before we drop the dollars.. Try contacting a gal named Katherine Oelrich at IDFG Southwest Region, she is really helpful with Mule deer information.

After not drawing in my current state Utah in 2017 and my family members not drawing in NV that year, I decided to go to Idaho OTC. I spent time around 67 during summers and decided to just go there. 2017 was a rough year from winter kill but I had a blast. Deer were found away from roads, in deep canyons. We had snow come through the first part of the season which helped that year. I truck camped and went deep into trails for day hunts. Definitely ran into people but found my own areas to explore. I posted a run down from my hunt in on this forum.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back