Yeti GOBOX Collection

NoCal trout

Walt lister

Joined a friend of mine at Lake Davis, near Quincy Ca last monday and did a little fly fishing for the Eagle Lake strain of trout that was introduced into the lake. A number of years ago someone put Northern Pike into the lake and that resulted in a loss of a good trout fishery. The lake was poisened a few years ago and Eagle Lake trout were introduced and thay have been doing extremely well. Lake Davis is a shallow lake with lots of weedy flats that the fish roam over looking for food. Wading the edges and fishing nymphs resulted in a very good trip. I used my float tube one evening but back spasms made me stop.

Several dirt two tracks lead down to the edge. This is near Cow creek.
lakedavis029.jpg

Steve fighting a nice fish.
lakedavis010.jpg

I'm about waist deep.
lakedavis007.jpg

Nice fish. The average size was 16" and nothing below about 14". Biggest was 18".
lakedavis008.jpg

Steve in his float tube. One evening in a couple of hour stretch he landed 17 rainbows.
lakedavis009.jpg

We fished late and that was when the action was best.
lakedavis011.jpg

Nice fish again.
lakedavis015.jpg

Saved several for dinner.
lakedavis017.jpg

Also spent an afternoon on the nearby Feather River.
lakedavis023.jpg

Caught several smaller trout on elk hair caddis.
lakedavis024.jpg

Stayed in Steve's trailer, really roughing it.
lakedavis019.jpg

View out his front door.
lakedavis020.jpg

We also hiked into a small lake (Lower Salmon) nearby just to explore and I managed to catch a brookie on a Dardevle lure but I didn't have my camera.
The thing that impressed me most on this trip is that even though fishing was exceptional there were very few people on/around the lake and we had it almost to ourselves.

Thanks for sharing, Walt. Looks like a batch of chunks on that table.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back