Caribou Gear

No MSG under 18?

HB 390 has been tabled in committee. I wouldn't' say it's dead, especially in that committee. They have a tendency to bring stuff back to life.

Only way to win the hunting game is to encourage your kids to be lawyers, doctors, etc. and buy their way to the front of the line. I was barely in the age range to have any kind of reasonable chance at MSG and only because I lived in the right state. Odds for all suck wayyyyy worse now than when I first started applying. I remember when lower rock creek had 1:20-25 odds for drawing a ram tag. I also remember when the breaks had similar odds. Moose odds for some of the less desirable units were 1:30-35. Goat odds ranged from 1:10-20. I was also fortunate to get in close enough to ground floor on points in some states, and also have the $$$ to afford at least applying all over the place to increase my odds.

Reality is, a kids odds of drawing moose, sheep, goat, bison in the lower 48 is hovering somewhere between 0 and about 1%...

Better encourage them to fire up that education and make some $$$...the old way of getting to hunt MSG are over.
That’s how crazy it is for a sheep tag?

This is a great proposal. Someone needs to remind the lawmakers to get this one back on the docket. Great use of legislative time.

Even beyond the boost WA just got from the Olympic NP relocations, we have a growing Mt goat population with expanding hunt opportunities.

I also just assisted in a relocation of Bighorns from WA that were released in UT, from a growing BH herd here in WA. There are bright spots just not as many as we need.
WOW this didn't age well. 5 years later and both our Moose and Mt Goat populations are crashing, with more bighorn herds testing positive for M Ovi.

WOW this didn't age well. 5 years later and both our Moose and Mt Goat populations are crashing, with more bighorn herds testing positive for M Ovi.
A blind man could look at the goat horn measurement data and figure out why we have declining goat numbers. There is only one unit with a nanny only season (5 permits), the Crazies, yet look at the nannies that get slaughtered in all the units, nearly 50 total. It’s absurd.

A blind man could look at the goat horn measurement data and figure out why we have declining goat numbers. There is only one unit with a nanny only season (5 permits), the Crazies, yet look at the nannies that get slaughtered in all the units, nearly 50 total. It’s absurd.
I've pushed pretty hard in Idaho for all goat tags to be billy only. Several states have nanny only tags, which require sexing goats on the hoof, so we know that hunters can be tasked with this.

My comment to the commission has basically been, "if you can't tell the difference, don't put in for a goat tag."

If ID and MT had billy only tags, except in places where a few nannies need to be killed, there would be so much more opportunity.

In Idaho, we have two-year cycles. If an area giving four tags has a couple nannies shot, the unit will drop to a single tag for the next two years. It sucks.

I approve of the once in a lifetime draw for MSG. I do NOT approve of raising the age to 18. Youngsters need a chance too. My .02 cents. MTG
Agreed. In Idaho you can be ten. My daughter was ten.

But they are OIL, which Montana should be as well.Screenshot_20240322-140732~2.png

I've pushed pretty hard in Idaho for all goat tags to be billy only. Several states have nanny only tags, which require sexing goats on the hoof, so we know that hunters can be tasked with this.

My comment to the commission has basically been, "if you can't tell the difference, don't put in for a goat tag."

If ID and MT had billy only tags, except in places where a few nannies need to be killed, there would be so much more opportunity.

In Idaho, we have two-year cycles. If an area giving four tags has a couple nannies shot, the unit will drop to a single tag for the next two years. It sucks.
Yep. Agree 100%. According to the stats someone shot a .5 yr old female last year. How pathetic. Maybe it was for Instagram content, who knows. Not sure how anyone could feel a sense of accomplishment about that.

Yep. Agree 100%. According to the stats someone shot a .5 yr old female last year. How pathetic. Maybe it was for Instagram content, who knows. Not sure how anyone could feel a sense of accomplishment about that.
I think most biologists would agree it would be best...I mean, sheep and moose are typically sex specific.

I think the hold up is they don't think people should be responsible to sex a goat, but then expect them to do it with nanny only tags.

It is catering to the lowest common denominator at the expense of people would take the time to learn.

Idaho has mandatory sex identification now, as of last year...but who cares if people shoot the first one they see.

In Idaho, it makes a ton of sense to have billy only tags considering you can only put in for goat if you put in for goat. In Montana, everybody puts in for everything, because everyone else is.

As far as the young goats, I think people underestimate the country, get in deep, then shoot the first white ball they see because they want to go home. I don't want to be judgemental, because goat country is tough, but a 0.5 year old goat is a pretty crazy thing to shoot.

I think most biologists would agree it would be best...I mean, sheep and moose are typically sex specific.

I think the hold up is they don't think people should be responsible to sex a goat, but then expect them to do it with nanny only tags.

It is catering to the lowest common denominator at the expense of people would take the time to learn.

Idaho has mandatory sex identification now, as of last year...but who cares if people shoot the first one they see.

In Idaho, it makes a ton of sense to have billy only tags considering you can only put in for goat if you put in for goat. In Montana, everybody puts in for everything, because everyone else is.

As far as the young goats, I think people underestimate the country, get in deep, then shoot the first white ball they see because they want to go home. I don't want to be judgemental, because goat country is tough, but a 0.5 year old goat is a pretty crazy thing to shoot.
They do it expect it with black bears….i almost typed out “they do it with black bears”, but thot that might open to interpretation 😂

Back