Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

No Blacktails This Mornin'

elkrchr

Before heading out with my son for the last five days of Oregon's general blacktail deer season, the wife wanted to get out today. After some Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, milk and juice we hit the road for the Mt. Hood National Forest. Although it was cool, the weather was way to nice for "good" blacktail hunting. We hunted until noon and then hit the road for the big city. Luckily I tossed the .22 in the truck prior to leaving this morning as we did come across several ruffed grouse, one of which is now in the fridge waiting to be wrapped with bacon and pan seared in olive oil. I've attached some photos from this mornings adventure.

Attachments

• BT 2.jpg
    BT 2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 211
  • BT 1.jpg
    BT 1.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 210
  • BT 3.jpg
    BT 3.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 210
  • BT 5.jpg
    BT 5.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 206
  • BT 4.jpg
    BT 4.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 209
  • BT 6.jpg
    BT 6.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 203
  • BT 7.jpg
    BT 7.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 206
  • BT 8.jpg
    BT 8.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 203
I saw a guy hunting along Hwy 26, east of the mountain, the other day when I had to go over to Madras and wondered if there were actually huntable numbers of deer in that area. As I went down the west side between Government Camp and Zig Zag I wasn't impressed that there was anything huntable close to the highway, but wondered if it might be worth it up towards Lolo Pass. Actually, I don't hunt the Cascades for blacktails, but have killed a few mule deer in the past between Rockpile Lake and Three-Fingered Jack...best eating deer in Oregon.

Nice grouse.

Great pictures! Good luck with the rest of the hunt. I have a Willamette tag and hope to get my first blacktail this year.

Back