Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

NM Regs up

After a quick skim it looks like the only thing substantially different is now the Caldera hunts are in the drawing. Last year they shifted a lot of rifle and muzzy elk hunts a week later, and that's basically where they are this year.

Anybody notice anything else?

So the caldera hunts are no longer run by a totally different website? Just clarifying...

So the caldera hunts are no longer run by a totally different website? Just clarifying...

That is correct, they are listed as unit 6B in the regular drawing table like all other hunts.

Yep.Run by NPS now. Sure wish it had been taken over by FS instead.
Not the same hunt as it was I hear.
I have never drawn,but have hunted just outside and had a blast.
Place is the Jurasic Park of elk and has always been special to me.
I came in 2nd, twice, for Rec.Supervisor job(hunt/rec. program runner).....so close.LOL
Go for it. It's still a unreal place.

Start date for most of the 1st elk hunts is on Sat. the 8th, instead of the 10th?
Youth,mobility impaired and the ones I am impaired from drawing...lol ,some of the primo /not much chance there, units.
So the dates moved back up with the 1st being a Sat. My mz mb hunt last year started on the 17th,this year same hunt will be the 14th start. So most of the bull elk hunts will fall into the rut window. IMHO

Last edited:
Are you concerned at all about the full moon being on the 16th? Just curious as I don't know how that affects things.

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases_calendar.phtml

Unscientifically, I just scrolled through the years and months of the fall for years 2003-2015 on the above link.

I can honestly say the majority of elk I've killed are on or around the full moon. Bow, gun and muzzle loader. And in fact, one of the worst weeks of elk hunting I've had fell on a week of the new moon.

I've found the full moon to affect fishing more than hunting.
That said I like a moon to move around in the dark.
Will they bed earlier? Come out later?
Maybe,but then I can find them and move in. And they get up and move all day.
I used to just hunt the dark for deer...fool. Early mornings and sunset.
I've killed more deer between 11-1 than other times overall now. Just takes a buck shifting in his bed.

Thanks for link DS.

Last edited:
Back