NM First Archery Bull

Bighorn191

Well, after chasing elk with a rifle most of my life and having some moderate success, I decided to try them with a bow. I'm pretty sure I will never go back to rifle hunting. The NM bulls were screaming their heads off and putting on quite the show for several days in a row. After missing a true giant on the first day of the hunt and chasing bugles for days, everything came together on this bull who was chasing cows. I actually spooked them off the ridge I was on, they ran down and across the canyon and he started bugling and chasing cows all over. I took off and got myself in the perfect spot, looked up and here came the cows with the bull in tow. The cows got 8 feet from me and the bull about 10 yards. Once they spooked and he took off after them, I had about a 15 yard shot. It all happened way too fast. It's an incredible experience to finally have it all come together - perfect wind, the right attitude of the bull, to get behind the right tree, etc. I'm in awe of all the guys that are slugging the giant bulls this year - I sure learned a lot and had a blast doing it. Can't wait to get after some of the big bulls again next year.

Attachments

• IMG_4275.jpg
    IMG_4275.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 576
Very nice, nothing like that first archery experience. I haven't picked up a rifle since. Congrats!!

Sounds like a great hunt and certainly the bull has plenty of style to his antlers...well done on a hunt i doubt will never be far from your thoughts..

NM is addicting. Each year i try to whore myself at all cost to trybto get another tag.

What hunt dates were you there.

Khunter, I am in for NM for the rest of my days! We drew 2nd season unit 15. Had first season last year and it was horrible as I'm sure you know if you follow NM news. Lots of great bulls killed in all 3 seasons this year. I love it when I discover a new addiction...

Dink,
FYI, I think you can get an adapter bracket for a bowholder or gunholder for a walker just in case you don't get drawn for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back