Yeti GOBOX Collection

Newbie Headed to Montana

Huntforadventure

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to head to Montana this fall for an elk hunt. I think the timing would probably be during the early part of the rifle season. I want to take a day or two to camp and scout before the season opener. I would be looking for an OTC combo tag or as second choice OTC bull tag. I have hunted in the east a lot and am green to hunting out west, let alone hunting elk. If anyone could suggest some good OTC units I would be extremely grateful for the information.

Thanks for taking the time to educate a new western adventurer,
Kevin

Throw a dart on the general units, pick one, and go hunting. There is excellent elk hunting all over MT on in the general units. Get in the best shape of your life, be prepared with your gear, practice shooting your rifle alot leading up to your hunt, and go have fun! Good luck

Most of the general units have a annual success rate of 10% for bulls and a little better for cows. I've elk hunted in Colorado, Utah, and a limited entry in Oklahoma; and it can be very difficult elk hunting in Montana. But the experience can be well rewarding if you have 10-12 days to hunt.

Most of the general units have a annual success rate of 10% for bulls and a little better for cows. I've elk hunted in Colorado, Utah, and a limited entry in Oklahoma; and it can be very difficult elk hunting in Montana. But the experience can be well rewarding if you have 10-12 days to hunt.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the 10% success rate, I wonder how much of that is because of many people not getting far enough away from roads and other hunters ect. In NY where I am from, they report that it is an average of 8 years before hunters are successful with whitetail. I haven't known any one to not get one within the second year, and most within the first year. I think some of that may be from either lack of reporting, or lack of effort. How much do you think that might be the case in MT? Thank for the help

To clarify. MT doesn't have any OTC units for elk and deer. They all require a draw tag or at a min purchase of a leftover tag. Some yrs you can buy a tag at any point, other yrs, such as last yr, they sold out before the season. I'd suggest putting in for the draw. Read the regs carfully. Some general elk units require a special deer tag and some general deer units require a special elk tag...by special I mean limited draw tag

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the 10% success rate, I wonder how much of that is because of many people not getting far enough away from roads and other hunters ect. In NY where I am from, they report that it is an average of 8 years before hunters are successful with whitetail. I haven't known any one to not get one within the second year, and most within the first year. I think some of that may be from either lack of reporting, or lack of effort. How much do you think that might be the case in MT? Thank for the help

Based on my experience in hunting Montana as a non-resident and resident for 15 years I'd say the success reports are fairly accurate. I used to not believe the numbers until three years ago when I became a resident and hunted more up here. There are guys on this forum that are serious elk hunters that are successful most every year, and they make up the 20% of the hunters that kill 60-80% of the elk each season. Secondly they elk hunt 10 to 20 days a year. In the areas where I hunt there is tons of backcountry areas that limit hunter access and the elk have plenty areas to hide due too heavy timber. For the most part I think there are a quite a few hunters that put in some hard effort in MT.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back