Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Newbie etiquette ?

Popcan

I'm going on my first deer hunt in October. I've been pouring over maps and stats and it appears I'm going to be hunting with A LOT of other hunters. There are motorized trails everywhere also. My question is what are the do's and don'ts of my situation? I know this is really vague but I'm just not totally sure of what to expect other than a lot of people and vehicles during a short season (10 day season). I don't want to ruin someone else's hunt, but I don't want mine to suck either. Thanks in advance for any advise.

I guess a guy could write a book on this. It is really hard.

If I run into people I try to avoid them as much as possible and sometimes that isn't possible in states like WI. CO should be a little easier. I go by first come first serve basis. If you are in an area first then you should have first go at anything. If you walk in on a guy do your best to get out of his way.

Put yourself in the other guys shoes and try to understand how you would feel if x happened to you. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Fair enough. Good ol common sense can take you a long way. I just fear that every where I go, someone will be posted up there. The units I'll be in aren't very big for the amount of hunters involved.

Yes, the old golden rule. Don't do to others that you wouldn't like done to you. Then hope the other guy feels the same way.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Good ol common sense can take you a long way. I just fear that every where I go, someone will be posted up there. The units I'll be in aren't very big for the amount of hunters involved.

Then just get there earlier. Good luck

Don't be afraid to try to get to an area in the dark...like maxx said, it should be a first come first serve basis. If somebody beats me to a spot I'll alter my plan to try to avoid them. There's always some who don't share that philosophy but they're the type you don't want to be like. I hunt the way I fish, if someone is in my spot I'll find a different one, not set up and start casting besides them.

Get up earlier than the other guys, and be polite! Not all hunters will be good guys or happy to see you, but there's nothing you can do about them so just move on, don't let them ruin your hunt.

If there are that many hunters and that many roads, I'd say a large percentage of them may never venture far from the roads. If you can put at least a mile between you and the nearest road you have probably eliminated 80-90% of your worries. The guys in these areas are TYPICALLY easier to deal with and usually following the golden rule themselves. My only concern for you is that it sounds like you may be too worried about this. Don't put your hunt second, just be courteous. Good luck.

Between upland birds/ducks/deer/elk/antelope and every other species you can think of to hunt on public land, I can count the number of times I've been beaten to my spot on one hand, and have fingers left over. I can't begin to count the number of times I've had someone else come in to find me already there...

If there are that many hunters and that many roads, I'd say a large percentage of them may never venture far from the roads. If you can put at least a mile between you and the nearest road you have probably eliminated 80-90% of your worries. The guys in these areas are TYPICALLY easier to deal with and usually following the golden rule themselves. My only concern for you is that it sounds like you may be too worried about this. Don't put your hunt second, just be courteous. Good luck.

You are probably right about being too worried. Thanks to all you guys. I feel better now.

Yup if I am hunting a spot that I know has a ton of pressure I typically make sure I was the first one there.

I don't have to do it for deer anymore because I have found my spots but waterfowl hunting on the weekend typically finds me up pretty early. Hell back in the day I would basically sleep at my spot for the duck opener. I am not that mad at them anymore.

I wish PA taught etiquette to their hunters!!!
While archery hunting the early muzzle loader season (they overlap) I've had 2 guys pick trees literally 10 yards on either side of me, and start hooking up their climbers.
During rifle 2 years ago, I had a guy come and sit on the rung of my ladder stand. (no he wasn't tired, looked like a good place to sit and watch, I asked), left there, and went somewhere else. After sitting for about 30 minutes, heard crunching in the snow behind me. Here come 3 guys literally following my footprints. 1)" there he is... 2) what should we do now?? 3) we'll go about 20 yards past him and set up.... AGGGHHHHH
Last year, I was sitting on a gas line, 800 yards of open in front of me. 2 does, and a 4 point came out about 200 yards. Waiting for one of the does to settle down, so I could shoot. "Hey buddy, how's the hunt going??" from behind me.
I turn around, and there was an orange elf standing there... (you had to see it to believe it). Deer are gone, when I turned back. He then proceeds to walk past me, down my lane of fire.
Next day a guy decided to take a shot at me from about 600 yards, with a lever action.

It's nuts out here!!!

I hunted an area 10 miles from Kansas City city limits from 2011-2013. Totally Public land. About a mile square with access from the south side only. My closest stand was over 1/2 mile in and my two best stands were a mile in. During bow season I saw only 2 other hunters in 3 years. Now the first rifle season I ever hunted there, I set up on a ridge 2.5 hours before legal shooting light. Sure enough within 20 minutes of legal light, 2 guys come walking down the ridge and even though I shined them both with my flashlight, they plopped down within 30 yards of me. Sometimes you just have to deal with that kind of person. Yes I understand it is public land and they had every right to be there as I did. I just wish people were more considerate.

I waited till legal light and I got up and walked right down the ridge, went to the deepest cover I could find, and shot a real nice 138 inch 10 pointer as he was scent checking a thicket.

Next year I set up two stands on either side of the 100 yard wide thicket and depending on the wind hunted one side or the other. Hung my tag on 2 more bucks and a doe in the next two years with my bow. I learned more about deer in those 3 years than the previous 20 years hunting a private farm. There were guys I ran into at the parking lot who claimed to have never seen a legal ( 4 point to a side) buck in 4 or 5 years of hunting.

Get in as far as you can go, find the thickest piece in that area, and hunt the downwind side during the rut. The does hole up there to get away from the bucks and the bucks go there to find the does.

Back