New to Southern California

Ground Guy

Alright folks,
Me and my buddy ended up in San Diego for approximately the next year. Combined we have a background in spot and stock rifle/archery in WA state and tree stand archery in the Carolina's. Primarily we're trying to hunt deer, preferably within a few hours drive of San Diego, though I'm certainly not opposed to hog and coyote hunting. I've been doing a little bit of scouting trying to find huntable public land in the area, so far I've been out to the Otay Mt Wilderness and areas of the Cleveland National forest in the vicinity of Alpine and Pine Valley, been told that El Centro actually holds some big deer? I've seen a little sign, but not a lot of promise so far. If we could get pointed in the right direction/any advice we sure would appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Ground Guy

You are going to want to see what open zone tags you can get because the draw ended at midnight.

Yes, east of El Centro in the Chocolate Mountains there are some of the biggest deer in the state. Also has the lowest success rate %

Attachments

• Tony Friley Buck 001.jpg
    Tony Friley Buck 001.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 116
Glass eye that is an impressive buck. Is the white face genetics or greying with age in your opinion?

You are going to want to see what open zone tags you can get because the draw ended at midnight.

Speaking of that, it's now the 4th and all my applications on the site say "pending". When do they post the results? Sorry, but this is my first time applying.

Speaking of that, it's now the 4th and all my applications on the site say "pending". When do they post the results? Sorry, but this is my first time applying.

Called today - we will know by the 12th of this month, possibly earlier.

Thanks for the reply. Odd that the SHARE hunts and special bird hunts are in. My son drew one and so did I (both bird hunts on WL areas) Best of luck to you.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back