Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New to Idaho huntin

*Bowdude*

Hey Moosie - you appear to know a lot about the area. My brother and I are planning to come out the end of may for a bear hunt. Was wondering how bad the public land is overrun by the guides, etc. Here in Wis. you cant hardly go a quarter mile in good bear country without stumbling over a bait site. There is no limit to the number of sites and the dog runners have em everywhere. If you wouldn't mind chatting with me off line send an e-mail.

[email protected]

Moosie doesn't know squat about the area.... And I can say that 'cuz he is on a cruise for a week, so he can't see what I say....

When you ask about the "area", keep in mind, Idaho is a big place....

All things equal, if you get MORE than a 1/4 mile from a road, you won't find anyone's bait site, as people don't like to work, and baiting is work.

Outfitters don't do much for bear hunting. Most of them are too lazy to do the work for the small payment you get for hanging a tree stand over a pile of bait.

Hound Hunters are a bit more of an issue, as if you are close to where they frequent, they will keep things stirred up.

All that being said, find a spot, and then go another 1/2 mile and you will be fine....

As to where - Planning on units 10 and 12 off of route 12 cominig in from Missoula. Have to get some topos for the area and study from here. Got any experience with that area?

10 and 12 are a bit far up north for me. I don't make it up there. I have heard good success stories on people spotting and stalking though. With a bow, which I'm sure you're planning will be tougher even yet. But I know guys that use loging roads and walk them with the Grass's in the barrow ditch the bears come out of the hills to eat make a Good way to see them and sneak in on them. As far as baiting, I think a dork.. errr a Guy by the name of "280" hunts up in that area and claims to have good success. I think to bait for a week and to have good success will be tough, but I've never tried it that late and in that area.

Drop me and questions you have on the board, in a PM, Email "[email protected]" or phone call. (208)571-1ELK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back