Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to hunting...

First off, for a first gun for a hunt, i would buy used.
You have no clue yet what you like/dislike.
No sense buying a rifle for $1,000 to find you don't like to shoot said rifle. Then, when you try to sell/trade, you'll only get $400-500 for it.
Save the money on the firearm, as there are a LOT of good ones out there, and put the money towards good glass!
Talk with Schmalts on this forum for advise, and purchasing a good scope at a fair price!

As for cartridge...
Do NOT get a 300 Win Mag! Or any other magnum for that matter as a very first gun!
308, 7mm-08, 260 Rem, 6.5X55 Swede, 7mmX57 Mauser will all do the job, and not punish you. The more pleasant to shoot it, the more you'll shoot it, and the more proficient you'll become.

Of the cartridge's mentioned above I would drop the 6.5x55, 260 Rem and 7x57 unless you reload. Doesn't sound like you do. All three are very usable for hunting elk but you might find finding ammo with suitable bullet's hard to do. It's amazing how small a cartridge can kill even an elk very dead very quickly when proper shot placement is used for the cartridge selected! And I'm in complete agreement about forgetting the magnums. I went through magnum mania years ago and learned not to like recoil although I did learn to handle it! One of the most important thing's is your ability with the weapon you choose and if like me, you prefer cup and core bullet's, your ability to choose a good cup and core bullet. IMO your going to be well off in any cartridge to use bullet's on the heavy side for something like elk. Actually I dedicate a rifle to one bullet weight only. Get say a 308 and shoot only one weight bullet in it and learn how to use it and you'll kill very well any animal that walk's. Don't get to thinking you can by pass experience by getting a larger cartridge, lot of people seem to do that.

I would agree with the advice to NOT get a 300Win Mag. Or any magnum at this time. There has been some very good advice to start with a 7mm-08 or similar. I have shot a fair amount of critters and my go to rifle is a 7mm-08. I have others, but when I open the safe, this one seems to jump into my hands! Also, a $2,000 rifle does not kill them any deader than a $500 rifle. The Ruger American isn't super pretty, but it shoots good and is dependable. I bought one for my daughter. Whomever said go with the Ruger American and a Vortex scope had really good advice. Spend any additional money you have on other gear like quality boots (cannot recommend this enough as blisters ruin a hunt!), binoculars, clothing, and of course gas and lodging to get you out there actually hunting!

I have no idea what a FOID card is, but I am guessing you live somewhere like Illinois and it is a card required to buy a gun? If so, then buy an inexpensive shotgun (Remington 870s can be had used for $200 or so) and spend some time duck, goose, pheasant, etc hunting.

I would agree with the advice to NOT get a 300Win Mag. Or any magnum at this time. There has been some very good advice to start with a 7mm-08 or similar. I have shot a fair amount of critters and my go to rifle is a 7mm-08. I have others, but when I open the safe, this one seems to jump into my hands! Also, a $2,000 rifle does not kill them any deader than a $500 rifle. The Ruger American isn't super pretty, but it shoots good and is dependable. I bought one for my daughter. Whomever said go with the Ruger American and a Vortex scope had really good advice. Spend any additional money you have on other gear like quality boots (cannot recommend this enough as blisters ruin a hunt!), binoculars, clothing, and of course gas and lodging to get you out there actually hunting!

I have no idea what a FOID card is, but I am guessing you live somewhere like Illinois and it is a card required to buy a gun? If so, then buy an inexpensive shotgun (Remington 870s can be had used for $200 or so) and spend some time duck, goose, pheasant, etc hunting.

yeah, I am in Illinois. It’s a Forearm Owners Identification card that is needed. I definitely don’t plan on spending 2,000 but happy to spend up to a $1000 on something that will cover the specs needed.

watching the fresh tracks series I can tell the importance for quality equipment to glass as well as scopes etc. I love the Sitka gear. It looks quality, it’s my birthday so maybe that’s what I put some pennies towards.

Keep your eye on weight!
Going from Illinois to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana is still a big elevation change.

The air gets thin, and ounces turn to pounds. Lightweight gear is a big help, but a lightweight rifle can sometimes be harder to shoot.
Not as steady aiming, more felt recoil.

Go to a gun shop and handle different brands. See which brand feels right to you. Feel and balance can make a difference from one to the next.
This! Don't be afraid to cycle the action and get a good feel for each one you try. While bolt rifles are where you may most likely buy, be sure to try other action rifles if they have them. Per a few responses, I agree the 7mm-08 is a great first cartridge for the new hunter. Gun shops want your business so they will definitely accommodate you and if they don't just take your business elsewhere.

watching the fresh tracks series I can tell the importance for quality equipment to glass as well as scopes etc. I love the Sitka gear. It looks quality, it’s my birthday so maybe that’s what I put some pennies towards.
It's great to go for quality items, and I may get roasted for saying this, but super expensive camo would be close to the bottom of my priority list - especially for a new hunter.

If I were to carve out a priority list of items, spending a little more for quality and just general necessity it would kind of look like this:

Optics (Binos, Rifle Scope, Spotting Scope)
Boots
Firearm/Bow
Knife - gutting, quartering, camp use etc
Pack - large game/backcountry
Clothing
Various miscellaneous items for specific hunts

Order can be flipped some depending on the hunting you will be doing but you don't need to start off in Gucci camo to hunt. Some good rain and thermal gear being higher priority than the rest. Being wet and cold sucks.

It's great to go for quality items, and I may get roasted for saying this, but super expensive camo would be close to the bottom of my priority list - especially for a new hunter.

If I were to carve out a priority list of items, spending a little more for quality and just general necessity it would kind of look like this:

Optics (Binos, Rifle Scope, Spotting Scope)
Boots
Firearm/Bow
Knife - gutting, quartering, camp use etc
Pack - large game/backcountry
Clothing
Various miscellaneous items for specific hunts

Order can be flipped some depending on the hunting you will be doing but you don't need to start off in Gucci camo to hunt. Some good rain and thermal gear being higher priority than the rest. Being wet and cold sucks.

This is a good priority list, but if you hunt out of a treestand in a cold climate than clothing will jump up that list very quickly.

This is a good priority list, but if you hunt out of a treestand in a cold climate than clothing will jump up that list very quickly.
From age 9-22 I didn’t own much of any cold weather hunting clothes. Just lots of layers of regular winter outerwear, or a sleeping bag. -10 northern MN and still cozy. Like most of the Midwest the stand is usually less than a mile walk and you can get away with heavy cheap stuff.

Like others have said, I'd start with a .22 long rifle. If you plan on a bolt action gun for big game hunting, then make the .22 a bolt action too. I find it helps to build muscle memory with shooting and cycling the bolt. You can burn tons of .22 ammo for cheap and it'll help when you get the big game rifle out. For most new hunters, I tell them to get a .270 Winchester. There are a lot of options that fit the bill, but you'll be able to find ammo anywhere, from very inexpensive to quite pricey. Also, every major manufacturer chambers for the .270, so you'll have a lot of options for a rifle. I also would use it on anything in North America short of a brown bear. I can't really recommend a rifle. The good news is that there are plenty of good, inexpensive and accurate firearm options to look at. It'll help to go to a store and put them in your hands. It really can make a difference. Last thing is don't discount your scope choice! I've been told to spend as much on a scope as you do on your rifle. I've also known people with a $500 rifle and $1500 scope.

@Ben_BlueOx as to your previous statement about feeling foolish for asking what you might believe are basic questions, don't. Ask away! I know that's easier said than done, but trying to gain an understanding of a new hobby doesn't have an age limit. You'll find that MOST everyone in the hunting community is very kind and accommodating when it comes to lending a helping hand and giving sagely advice.

After I graduated high school I got the bug to explore hunting and shooting and absolutely fell in love with it. I actually read through a handloading manual and learned a ton about each cartridge (not necessarily the details of powder, primer, etc. at that time, but the history and capability of them). Not that I recommend that for every beginner, but it was helpful to me.

Also, if you feel so inclined, perhaps find a way to move to a more freedom friendly state. I had no idea what an FOID card was before this and realized that I was probably taking my freedoms for granted. Stay safe!

@Ben_BlueOx

Also, if you feel so inclined, perhaps find a way to move to a more freedom friendly state. I had no idea what an FOID card was before this and realized that I was probably taking my freedoms for granted. Stay safe!

AMEN! Life sucks in Illinois for gun owners and hunters compared to neighboring states! :mad:

Ben, for a rifle get a .308. Every kind of ammo imaginable is available in .308, you can find it at mom-and-pop gas stations in the middle of nowhere, and it will do everything you need it to do. I didn't read this entire thread word for word, but the advice to steer clear of magnums in the beginning is good. Other solid choices are .270 and 30-06, but I've always found the .308 to be a great middle-ground sort of cartridge that does everything well. As far as brands go, I'm partial to the Tikka T3X and Remington 700.

Mountain hunting is awesome. Of all the clothing and equipment you can sort $ on, be sure you don't skimp on footwear. I'm my experience, hunting anything in the Rockies generally winds up being about 90% hiking. The best way to have a miserable time is get boots that take the skin off your feet.

Another clothing recommendation is make is for a good set of Merino wool base layer.

I'm sure Sitka gear is good stuff, but I've never been compelled to to shell out the stack of cabbage required for the privilege. Other than my boots and Merino wool, my clothes are a mish-mash of army surplus, Walmart, Cabela's, and whatnot. I haven't frozen for lack of Sitka Gear yet.

From age 9-22 I didn’t own much of any cold weather hunting clothes. Just lots of layers of regular winter outerwear, or a sleeping bag. -10 northern MN and still cozy. Like most of the Midwest the stand is usually less than a mile walk and you can get away with heavy cheap stuff.

Yeah I grew up hunting Maine in a lot of wool and layers, but as soon as I got decent gear I realized it can be the difference between enjoying your day in the stand and counting the seconds til you can get down and go back to camp.

I’d say it has become number one for me. If I were a western guy I’m sure optics would be higher priority

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back