new mexico unit 34

tomsahunter

After ten years My son and I finally drew unit 34 archery elk tags. We have hunted nm unit 45 and 13 before but I need to start scouting 34. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1st archery can be tough. The aren't quit rutting yet. I hunted 1st last year. PM me and I can try and help. It really is a good unit and your hunting success will depend more on tactics rather than location.

Water won't be a problem, up there last weekend and the area is getting some rain. Not enough yet but by the 1st hunt should be much better.

I had the second hunt last year and drew the 1st this year. I spend most of my weekends scouting in the unit. Shouldn't be a problem finding elk. Finding one that you want and getting it into bow range is the hard part.

Yea, there are elk everywhere in that unit...literally. You'll find elk and people all over. Very hard to get away from the road in that unit, but again, you'll find elk just about anywhere you look there.

34 is about an hour from home. I have applied at least 15 year in a row and the elk gods do not love me. Hunted deer many times and always see more elk than deer.

You will have a great hunt!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back