New Mexico Unit 18

Congrats on the tag! Follow Pro-mo's advice. It's a tough unit. I've spent a ton of time since i got my first tag for 18. Sadly a sea of red this year. I'll give you some pointers though. There are some elk out there. Get away from the roads.

Study any map you can get your hands on, there's tons of blm.
Get out there and scout. You're kidding yourself if you think you'll find elk on your first trip out.
Have good 4x4
Expect to hike a few miles.
There's DOD land out there, stay away. Give yourself 1000 yards from the border. I don't mess with the military.
If you can contact any ranch owners, see if you can pay a trespass fee.
Some outfitters can real asses. Know your maps and don't let them intimidate you. Get the number of the local rangers.
Near the NWR's there are mountain lions. Yep. They are there.
Stay away from the refuges unless you want to be hassled.

Get out there and have fun! New Mexico is a beautiful state. Unit 18 is varied in it's environments. Enjoy it.

@zjzeuske you are really full of it.

First off, unit 18 elk isn't exactly a primo unit. Its broken lowland country with some thick juniper strands. I drove through there last winter and did see some elk on a pivot. It's a unit with very low elk densities and there is a lot of private intermixed amoung accessible public land. Due to low elevation, it's gonna be hot there in Sept making it tough to hunt.

Second, due to above its not a hard hunt to draw. Residents have somewhere between a 32 and 71 percent chance to draw the first or second season tag based on the last three years depending on if its the first or second archery season. It's even pretty easy as a non resident, non outfitted. Between 8 and 16 percent last three years. You realize that it literally is the EASIEST ARCHERY ELK tag to draw for a NR right?

It was your third choice on your app because you just wanted any elk tag and selected the easiest so you can at least be hunting. At least don't lie about your story and man up and admit that you are just looking for a freebie to help on a very tough elk hunt
There is literally only one non resident tag in this unit and my dad and I applied together and both got tags so I would say it's actually not that easy to draw this tag. I understand it's not a primo unit, that's obvious. According to hunting fool we had a 6% chance to draw this tag. What do you think I'm lying about? I'm not looking for any freebie I'm just looking for advice on the unit. I'm not looking for GPS points, water holes, etc

I'm sitting on some WY points that I may burn someday eventually. Of coarse the new changes could mess all those plans up. I think you got some pretty good advise above on 18. It could be a tough hunt but low density units can produce some big elk in NM. Good luck out there and please hang around would love to see the out come. Find the water find the elk especially on a dry year in NM.
Much appreciated. If you ever burn your points in Wyoming, unit 38 is a great option. We were covered in elk and opportunities. First 30 minutes of our hunt almost had a 360 in our lap. Can't wait to go back there

Congrats on the tag! Follow Pro-mo's advice. It's a tough unit. I've spent a ton of time since i got my first tag for 18. Sadly a sea of red this year. I'll give you some pointers though. There are some elk out there. Get away from the roads.

Study any map you can get your hands on, there's tons of blm.
Get out there and scout. You're kidding yourself if you think you'll find elk on your first trip out.
Have good 4x4
Expect to hike a few miles.
There's DOD land out there, stay away. Give yourself 1000 yards from the border. I don't mess with the military.
If you can contact any ranch owners, see if you can pay a trespass fee.
Some outfitters can real asses. Know your maps and don't let them intimidate you. Get the number of the local rangers.
Near the NWR's there are mountain lions. Yep. They are there.
Stay away from the refuges unless you want to be hassled.

Get out there and have fun! New Mexico is a beautiful state. Unit 18 is varied in it's environments. Enjoy it.
Much appreciated! Unfortunately I have limited vacation time and won't be able to do any scouting since I'm out of state. All that advice is helpful and good to know! We're already preparing to have to relocate camp a few times as necessary. Thankfully my dad is 73 but in great shape and has no problem putting 10 miles on per day with me.

That is one thing they do right over at the slide. Any thread with a unit number in the title gets nuked. Helps prevent the google fisherman from stopping by to wet a line every year at draw time.

Did you ever end up killing one last year?
I only had an OTC tag for Barbary sheep last year. The years prior I was still learning where the herds are. I've only ever gotten mule deer tags for that area. I've not taken one yet. The country is beautiful and spread out though I've done my due diligence and I'm ready for another tag. Honestly, I haven't seen many bucks and I'm not the "brown is down" kind of hunter. The Doe's I've seen were in good shape though even with the drought last year. This unit does not give up its secrets easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back