Tikka06

New member here, so far just another whitetail/turkey hunter from east of the Mississippi. But, I hope to change that in the near future. Have been reading over the forum for a while and love the podcast and show. As for experience, the only whitetail seasons I have missed since being old enough to hunt were because I was in the big sand box sharing democracy with the arab world. lol Anyway, I prob don't have a lot to contribute other than maybe with an opinion or experience with a piece of gear. Avid rifle/bow shooter and a halfway decent trout/bass fisherman. Im here to learn all I can am willing to help anyone that needs it when I can. Im just basically a god fearing family man with a military and Fire/EMS background that has an undying urge to head out west as soon as possible. Thanks for letting me sit in on all this great info.

Tikka, first off thank you for serving this Great Country! Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're like most of us, we like the OUTDOORS! What branch of the military and unit?

Spent 9 yrs in the Army guard here in TN and abroad, started out as forward observer and ended as an MP, 278 RCT and 252 MP Co. Joined up right after 9/11 and loved pretty much every min of it.

Thanks for serving, welcome aboard. Did my first western hunt a few years ago. It sure did change my opinion of hunting at home. Heading out this fall for my first mule deer. Start putting in for preference points now. Even one can change your odds drastically. Just pick a state/states and game animal/animals and purchase.

I would also like to thank you for your service..... THANK YOU!

I don't have a military background but I applaud those who do.

As far as not having anything to contribute, don't feel that way, sure you do. I was a little shy at first, but this forum is full of people who actually care and want to help. Don't hesitate to jump in and comment, that is what it is all about.

Lastly, I didn't think I would like western hunting when my friend first went. He talked me into it the following year and now I wish I had started sooner. That was 17 years ago. Hate to admit it, but my deer hunting suffered from it at first because I was so into learning about the mountains and hunting western big game.

Like Randy says "get a tag and go hunt".

From a fellow easterner, welcome! Not only thanking you for your military service, but also for Fire/EMS too!

As for your urge to go west, I believe the logistics can be a little more rough due to the distance for us, but it can be done. Start planning now for next year, and just make it happen. You'll be glad you did.

Thank you for your service.

Don't overthink stuff. Some folks get decision paralysis, and worry too much about perfect planning. Sometimes you just have to jump in the pool to learn to swim.

Thanks for serving, welcome aboard. Did my first western hunt a few years ago. It sure did change my opinion of hunting at home. Heading out this fall for my first mule deer. Start putting in for preference points now. Even one can change your odds drastically. Just pick a state/states and game animal/animals and purchase.

Generally regarded as a "gateway animal" pronghorn antelope helps one ease into western style hunts and western animals. Easier to get tags, easier terrain, easier weather (at least generally not gonna get snowed in too long in September :) ) and saying all that, it's time for me to head over to WY website to get my antelope preference point for 2016.

Welcome to HuntTalk.

Generally regarded as a "gateway animal" pronghorn antelope helps one ease into western style hunts and western animals. Easier to get tags, easier terrain, easier weather (at least generally not gonna get snowed in too long in September :) ) and saying all that, it's time for me to head over to WY website to get my antelope preference point for 2016.

Welcome to HuntTalk.

If budget allows and you have a flexible schedule with a few weeks notice for when you actually hunt a tag you draw, start building points and will be about a decade before are drawing a great tag but in the meantime can find lots of hunts for fewer accumulated points or zero points.

If you have to schedule vacation several months in advance then the OTC, leftover tag, or landowner tag may be your best option so can actually hunt when you have a tag in hand.

If can build points then would suggest build points in CO and WY as Plan A.

Plan B would be to add MT, AZ, NV and UT.

ID and NM do not have points so you have the same odds as any other non-resident...that said there are not many tags for non-residents.

MT has had leftover elk/deer tags through most of the summer so that can be a way to pick up a tag if have not drawn anything by end of July. You can also buy landowner tags in CO and NM.

I would skip building points in CA, WA and OR. If want to hunt blacktail deer or Roosevelt elk then can hunt OTC in OR.

Welcome, couldn't thank you enough for your service and sacrifice for this country

Great info so far guys, keep it coming as Im taking it all in. Already in the beginning stages of planning a WY pronghorn trip next yr. Would do it this yr but have an upcoming whitetail hunt the wife booked as a christmas present. Also Have a tentative Alaska moose or caribou hunt planned for 2017 as I have family up there. My first question for you guys is, if I buy a WY preference pt this yr, is it specific to a species or towards whatever tag I apply for?

Great info so far guys, keep it coming as Im taking it all in. Already in the beginning stages of planning a WY pronghorn trip next yr. Would do it this yr but have an upcoming whitetail hunt the wife booked as a christmas present. Also Have a tentative Alaska moose or caribou hunt planned for 2017 as I have family up there. My first question for you guys is, if I buy a WY preference pt this yr, is it specific to a species or towards whatever tag I apply for?

Each species requires its own preference point. That way, you get to spend more of your hard earned moo-lah!

Would it be better to just buy leftover tags for areas that have limited public land and just pay trespass fees to landowners and keep building the preference points for hopes of drawing a better unit when Ive gotten a few yrs of experience under my belt?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back