Caribou Gear Tarp

New member planning a trip

SaltyDog53

Hey guys and gals,
I'm a transitioning service member separating after 10 years in the Navy. I haven't had much opportunity to hunt in the last 10 years but the passion is still there. As a gift to myself (with the wifeys blessing) I am trying to put together a Colorado elk hunt. I am doing my research and putting in the hours searching the forum here, but maybe some of you with a lot of miles under your feet would be willing to pass along some words of wisdom? Here are some of my questions:

1. I busted up my shoulder pretty good in the service doing counter piracy operations and GI joe BS. I don't think I'll be any good at using a compound bow, but I have a pretty nice crossbow. Does anyone know what the requirements are to use one during archery season for a "disabled hunter"? Meaning, do I have to carry a doctors note? Carry proof on me? Check in with a game station? ETC... I am hoping that they put me at the 30% disability mark with the VA, but there isn't any guarantee. Also, if that doesn't happen or something unexpected comes up, what would you consider being the most humane speed/draw weight for an elk (assuming good shot placement)? I might be able to handle something in the 50-60lb range.

2. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots or honey holes, but where would you recommend a first time novice going? I'm fine with punching a cow tag. I would also like to avoid the crowds as much as possible. My endurance level is decent right now, but I fully intend to practice hiking with a 70lb pack. Any MUST HAVE gear essentials?

3. Do you recommend bringing an ATV/UTV? I know it depends on the area and trail requirements, but as a rule of thumb is it worth the hassle?

4. Since I am just now starting on building points it will pretty much come down to an OTC license. Do you have any tips to ensure that me and a buddy get the same area?

Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone. Any advice would be appreciated. I am truly awestruck by the amount of wisdom that this forum contains.

All the best,
Michael

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

1. You can find info on the accommodation permit here for crossbow use during archery. https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/About/Accessibility/WildlifeRecreationAccommodationPermitApplication.pdf I don't bow hunt, so I have no input on draw weights.

2. There are elk all across the state. Where you end up will be a function of tag availability and when/where/what you want to hunt. With regards to gear, everyone's 'must have' is different. There are lots of gear threads here that are relevant. There is also a Randy Newberg bag dump video on youtube that you might fine helpful. Minimum I carry is water, snacks, IFAK, and a kill kit.

3. ATV's - I use them when appropriate for hunting and for recreation during non-hunting periods. Whether or not you want or need one would be totally dependent on where you are hunting. There are some areas I won't hunt without one, other areas where I leave them home.

4. OTC licenses are not restricted to individual units like limited licenses are. They are unlimited in number and are valid in any "otc" unit. So you and your buddy can just get otc bull licenses and go hunt any otc unit for bulls. You can also look into limited licenses, which would require some coordination or a group application if you wanted to ensure that you both end up with the same tag. Lots of great hunts available on 1st or 2nd choice limited licenses.

I can't speak with knowledge as far as crossbows go, but I archery hunt with a draw weight of 60lbs. Modern archery tackle is incredibly efficient compared to older compounds. I would have no problem shooting an elk with a 50lb. draw as long as you are waiting for good shots and using a sharp, fixed blade head.

Personally, I'd rather carry around a compound rather than a heavy crossbow in the elk woods. I'd see a crossbow as a limitation rather than an advantage. Obviously, you've got to use what your shoulder can handle, with whatever is legal in the state you are hunting.

Thank you to you and all of the past and present service members for allowing me the opportunity to go hike the mountains chasing after incredibly smart and majestic animals...as a vacation.

To my knowledge in most states it's a doctor's note with some pre-approval with the state. Now, as it sounds like you'd prefer a compound... Colorado big game rules say a 35lb minimum draw with 80% let off maximum is what you'd have to pull.

Regarding gear... Merino wool base layer. Good GPS with chip. Good set of glass. And a few different calls. I like Carltons and bugling bull. I bring my atv. Some of the 2-tracks where we go a truck isn't going down. But we still hike a few miles from there. That's all preference. It's a six of one type deal. Sometimes the crowds are where the animals are and there's a reason why people are in certain areas. It's not always laziness.

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll hit the bow range once I get back stateside here in 4 weeks and see what my limitations are. Reading over the "accommodation permit" it looks even if I can use my Xbow, then I'll have to put a 1x sight or red dot scope on it. I'm not loving that idea. Hopefully there is a compound out there that they can set me up for. I will probably purchase an OTC license for the 2nd or 3rd rifle season. Now I just need to get some long distance range time in with my 300 win mag :) I'll let you all know how things start shaping up.

I got an older friend of mine with rotator cuff issues hooked on elite. I've shot them all and to me that seemed like the smoothest one. Solid back with almost no roll that that a lot of high let off bows are known for. Comes with the added bonus where if something happens to it while you're on the hunt. Call em up tell them you're specs and they'll overnight you a new one. Wish I had an elite when someone ran over my bow on a moose hunt.

If you can shoot a 50# compound w your shoulder, you likely won't qualify for the disability permit for xbow or drawloc. No big deal, I'd way rather have a compound than my xbow during archery season. But I can't even draw my old 30# recurve, so I have a Mission MXB 330 xbow. It is one of the lightest made (7#), it still carries like a rifle which grew wings that don't fold up.

Last edited:
If minimum draw with an 80% let off you'd be holding 7lbs at full draw. I was surprised to see the minimum that low

I have no idea what I'll be able to pull in reality lol. This is all theory in my head at this point. There really aren't a ton of bow shops here in Italy, and I doubt that they speak English even if I were willing to drive the distance ;) I started talking to a bow shop and we are putting some ideas together to try out when I get back.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back