Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New lion population found

James Riley

Banned
I just read a news article about a "newly discovered" population of lions in north west Ethiopia. 200 or so. If the apex predator pyramid structure is true, I reckon that means there is quite the sizable and relatively intact system there. Especially when combined with the notion that scientists didn't know about it.

In my naivety, I always wondered what was left of Africa. I know as a child there were still dark recesses where "the dream" could still be realized, but I thought it had pretty much been trashed since then; reduced to "many airports and few lions" where the wild was a Yellowstone kind of thing, or maybe a Texas "hunting" ranch kind of thing.

I would love to read stories from you people who have actually been there. I think I'll read through this forum and catch up on Africa. Go lions!

Been to Africa for a hunt.Itsmostly high fence but on extremely large properties.Theses animals are no where near as easy as a texas high fence hunt.You have to watch your wind while stalking out there,and if they see you first its over.So not much different then hunting on public lands,but a heck of a lot more game.Its not like you can pick what you want to kill ahead of time and be guaranteed.Its a place everyone should go once and do a little touring as well.Its a totally different lifestyle out there.I went with my bow,and you can make the hunt as hard as you want.Spot and stalk with a bow is very difficult out there.Animals are pretty wary since the cheetahs,leopards and lions can get into these high fenced areas with ease;and do
I'm looking to take my boys there soon.Just waiting on the youngest to draw a bow strong enough to make clean kills

Interesting to hear about the lions, i will do some searching to have a read.

A lot of these newly discovered populations are well known by locals or native hunters, just the international community might not have knowledge of them until some biologist or field worker stumbles across them and declares them a new herd/population.

Plenty of wild free range hunting left in Africa, but the continent on a whole is not looking too good with the recent hunting closures, the adjustments in transporting of trophies, the civil unrest in the west coast countries, the attacks in kenya, etc etc. Still there is plenty there to explore and hunt.

Interesting to hear about the lions, i will do some searching to have a read.

A lot of these newly discovered populations are well known by locals or native hunters, just the international community might not have knowledge of them until some biologist or field worker stumbles across them and declares them a new herd/population.

Plenty of wild free range hunting left in Africa, but the continent on a whole is not looking too good with the recent hunting closures, the adjustments in transporting of trophies, the civil unrest in the west coast countries, the attacks in kenya, etc etc. Still there is plenty there to explore and hunt.

Sorry, I should have provided a link. It was on Bing News: https://www.bing.com/search?q=lions...id=06CC6A361023416297BCAF7E30CFD50A&FORM=QBLH

Thanks, was an interesting read. The link on the West African lions was also good.

But most of these groups associated with press releases concerning the discoveries of the lions are all seeking funding and financial support to manage and conserve the animals.

If there is 100-200 in the Ethiopia/Sudan region, then they certainly need nurturing, but the fact they are still alive to this day is confirmation of their ability to survive without human intervention. Most likely a lack of cattle herders in the region is a positive to this. Cattle herders kill, poison and injure far more lions then hunters do each year. Such a shame the international community focusses on sport hunting of lions as being the reason for their decline in population when there are so many factors associated with the killing of lions that have no involvement by hunters. Blame the hunters, protect the animals and list them as endangered, its easy to write about, but it is a small part of lion the story in africa unfortunately.

Most likely a lack of cattle herders in the region is a positive to this. Cattle herders kill, poison and injure far more lions then hunters do each year.

Cattle. Hmmmm. Sounds familiar. I'm sure cattle herders kill, poison and injure far more wolves than hunters do each year (Sss). Got dern cows sure taste good though. :D

It's nice to hear hunting in Africa is still whole, at least in some places. :) I'd like to go after a Cape Buffalo with my Damon Howatt stick some day. Especially one that is on edge from lions. If that's not a hunt then I don't know what the hell is.

Back