New Hunter moving to WY

Welcome to a good state, besides the wind. You could probably get nonresident doe tags near Rawlins or Sinclair or any of the red desert areas, but they may cut tag numbers. I wouldn’t personally bother with trying to pronghorn hunt from the unit near Burns, Wheatland, or south of Lusk it’s just too much pressure from what I seen. You could also try up north.

I wasn’t a resident of the state but worked there a lot, and it takes 365 days from the time you get a driver’s license and register your vehicles. Then stay in the state at least 180 days. Next year you can buy general tags so you will be set for some good hunting.

If you like fishing go north to N. platte or Geunsey or Glendo reservoirs, I’ve caught smallmouth up there.

There is a great golf course in Cheyenne and Wheatland, if you like golf.

I wouldn’t bother watching Meateater or similar content in regards to learning about hunting they and others have #@)(*%* up the sport for everyone and did nothing but exploit the sport in pursuit of money.

You are probably going to need to drive a little ways but you should have some great prairie dog shooting if you like to shoot. Best of luck in your move

The deadline is May 31st, but that is a good idea to find someone to shadow if I don't get a tag. I'm also going to get a small game license to hunt rabbit. I'm a little hesitant to try birds, since I have no experience with species identification.
Robins are a reddish/orange.;)

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. Are you moving due to a job? If so talk to your co-workers and get to know the hunters and bring something to the table so they don't just feel like you want there secret spots. Welcome to hunting and try for whitetail buck/doe tags as a non-resident this fall. From the biologists recommendations sounds like there won't be any whitetail cuts due to the drastic winter.
yeah, I'm moving for a new job, so I'll try to find a few hunters to tag along with. Doe tags are definitely my focus as a non-resident! Thanks for the tip on the whitetails!

Welcome! Sitting in the same boat as you, moving to Cheyenne this summer. Fortunately I lived there before and know the area. If you must stay around Cheyenne to hunt, you're going to want to look hard at walk-in areas. There's certainly state and BLM property around, but I've had the best and most consistent luck on walk-in areas. But please don't limit yourself to just around Cheyenne, there's some really cool units to explore with a doe tag in your pocket within a few hours of the capital, especially if you want to fish new country.

Birds aren't as difficult as you might think, most (not all) areas around Cheyenne allows the harvest of both hens and roosters as they're released farm birds on walk-in areas. Don't forget to enter the draws for Glendo and Springer bird hunts.

On another note, good luck with this housing market! We're looking and it's painful.
Thanks for the tips! I am probably stick close to Cheyenne this year, while I'm settling in. I have been looking at the walk-in areas. There are also Hunter Management Areas that look like a mix of private and public lands with a way to get permissions through the website (maybe?) The housing market is crazy right now -- interest rates are way up but the prices haven't adjusted much at all. I'll be there at the end of May and hoping for some improvement.

Welcome to a good state, besides the wind. You could probably get nonresident doe tags near Rawlins or Sinclair or any of the red desert areas, but they may cut tag numbers. I wouldn’t personally bother with trying to pronghorn hunt from the unit near Burns, Wheatland, or south of Lusk it’s just too much pressure from what I seen. You could also try up north.

I wasn’t a resident of the state but worked there a lot, and it takes 365 days from the time you get a driver’s license and register your vehicles. Then stay in the state at least 180 days. Next year you can buy general tags so you will be set for some good hunting.

If you like fishing go north to N. platte or Geunsey or Glendo reservoirs, I’ve caught smallmouth up there.

There is a great golf course in Cheyenne and Wheatland, if you like golf.

I wouldn’t bother watching Meateater or similar content in regards to learning about hunting they and others have #@)(*%* up the sport for everyone and did nothing but exploit the sport in pursuit of money.

You are probably going to need to drive a little ways but you should have some great prairie dog shooting if you like to shoot. Best of luck in your move
I'll definitely check out those fishing spots. I'll apply for units further from home after I'm settled in. I anticipate not having enough time off and having too many things to do around the house to venture too far away this season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back